Beyerdynamic T1.2 vs DT1990 (FPS/BR gaming)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Do you still have the headphones you purchased from me also?

I do! They were in fantastic condition. A great pair of headphones.
I bought my T1.2 on the same forum just a week or two ago. The guy had them for sale for a few weeks and knocked £100 off to get shot of them.

I’ve since returned home and given them a go for an hour or so. So far I’m really liking them. Love the sound of the gen 2’s so far and looking forward to spending more time with them.

From just the hour spent with them everything sounds much more open. I’ve mainly just used them for gaming but it feels like I can pinpoint sounds pretty accurately compared to my other headphones, Audio cues are well separated too.

1 Like

Couldn’t resist - received a set of Beyer T1.2 myself today - early days yet, but put a new set of Beyer pads on and been trying them out.

Probably the first set of Beyers I’ve had in years where I didn’t feel I had to eq pretty much instantly. Need to try them out with gaming soon but the balance of the sound appeals to me a fair bit more than the Tygrs I have.

:thinking: Did I start a trend for gamers to buy these or something? Maybe beyer will wake up and make more like the T1 2nd gen… hell even a gamer variant that ISN’T DISCONTINUED

^ this… very good balance imo

1 Like

Great!
Let us know your thoughts on them when you get to spend some time with them. So far i’m pretty impressed. As you stated, They definitely sound different to the other Beyers I own or have tried.

How are you getting on with the T1.2 after having them for some time?

Sad to say, I’ve sold them.

A number of reasons - for my usage they didn’t (to my ears) to add significantly better performance to warrant the cost over my Tygr 300r. Problem is, I play a lot on console and the Tygr are just way more convenient (plus they are modded to accept a boom mic).

T1.2 were great but needed to use an external dac/amp with the PS5 I have which was fine but then couldn’t really use them with the Xbox. There was no easy way to add my Wireless ModMic to them either as the material on the cups didn’t seem to allow the magnetic bases to stick.

While I thought they sounded great, there was just too many hurdles in my setup to keep them.

I’ve gone wireless (Audeze Penrose) now on the Consoles just to make things so much easier in a lounge setup and will use the Tygrs from time to time when I fancy a change.

For music, I’ll pick up a dedicated set of headphones in the future.

Ah thats a pity. It makes sense as to why though if it doesn’t work for you.
Hopefully the Penrose work better for your application!

Bumping this as decided to give the T1.2 another go - felt I was a bit too quick to make my mind up on them before.

Glad I did, playing BF2042 and they are literally god tier to my ears now - the placement of enemies around me (including distance) is distinguishable in a far more accurate way than the HD560s I’ve been using.

I’d like to get the T1.2 singing to their best for music also now - anyone have any reeommendations (sub £500) for a good amp that pairs well with them (don’t mind a slightly thicker/warmer sounding amp to go with these). I’ve got a iFi audio device I could use for DAC duties for now.

Thanks.

I have my set paired with an Asgard 3. Plenty power for them. I believe the Schiit stuff has a more warmer tone to it which works very nicely. I’ve got a Modius DAC also.

1 Like

Liquid Platinum from Monoprice more so since you made mention of a thicker warmer signature. Get a bifrost 2 for it later. Run the T1.2 balanced off the plat there, the setup really does well for the headphone imo

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion - is there anything similar that won’t involve importing to the UK?

Was looking at maybe a Schiit Valhalla 2 or something similar as that is readily available in the UK.

The thicker/warmer signature isn’t quite as important as I thought it was as I’ve adjusted to the sound of the T1 now and even using something as basic as a Creative G6, I’m finding them great.

hmm, I was gonna say you could try Lake Peoples amps and dacs as they are supposed to be more available over there. They are rather similar in performance to the Schiit products

Can’t really comment on that one as I haven’t tried it personally. Usually when I go straight tube amp I would look at Dark Voice or Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball. I’d ask others on their opinion over the valhalla though

1 Like

Thanks - that helps.

Also need to find a solution for the PS5. Using a Creative G6 (and sometimes Fosi K5 Pro). Can’t help but feel I need an external amp to add to the G6 though to step it up a little?

hmm, I don’t have experience with the PS5’s limitations so it’s hard to really speak on this. However, in general the g6 has a better dac than it does an amp so in terms of sound quality a dedicated amp connected to it will absolutely produce better results depending on the amp of course… but even in the case of power you can do better as a simple $100 amp($60-$70 mint condition third party) will be able to put out like 2x the amount of power and much better sound. Provided you can still make use of the g6 though I don’t think it will be an issue but I would recommend asking someone whos tested this -just- incase theres a weird issue

Otherwise… that depends, what kind of budget are you looking at with this? Technically you could also go with like a schiit hel over there or mayflower arc since they still offer the mic input and what not however, they cannot power 600 ohm headphones so if your using one of those sets of cans I don’t recommend those units

I ran my G6 as a DAC for the Asguard 3 from one of my previous threads. It worked well once I managed to break the ground loop using an ifidefender.

I found an open box modius going cheap on Schitt UK website so decided to switch out the G6 and keep it for my laptop on the go. A bit of OCD may have helped pull that trigger being in a stack though…

1 Like

ah well there ya go then, thanks for chiming in to confirm that works.

Yeah then absolutely go ahead and change the amp up @WhiteHartMart much like what Michty here did I do absolutely encourage something like an asgard if budget allows because it’s a fantastic amp

2 Likes

I went with the Asguard from recommendations on here and lengthy discussions with yourself. No regrets or grumbles so far anyway.

Thanks @michty_me and @Falenkor - I’ll look into the Asgard and iFi defender if needed!