🔷 Beyerdynamic T5p

So the 1990 is going to be more impressive spatially than the nhd20, and also imo a bit more neutral too. The nhd20 is a bit warmer and more relaxed, whereas the 1990 with analytical pads are going to be brighter-neutral and more aggressive. The 1990 imo is more detailed, but the nhd20 has a tad more natural timbre and presentation whereas the 1990 can be a bit too forward at times. Build is solid on both, but imo comfort is better on the 1990, but the nhd20 is more portable. Both aren’t extremely amp dependent from my experience

Really solid, neutral, refined, detailed, comfortable, well built, and a great all rounder for a closed back planar

1 Like

Thanks, this helps - but BOTH ARE TEMPTING ugh
I can get the 1990 for ~$450 and the Neumann for ~$420 here in Croatia so I guess both are good deals right?

Both are solid prices imo. What amp do you have just to check?

The (very recently bought) SMSL M300 MkII + SP200 stack

Gotcha. So that might make the 1990 a bit more harsh, but should be fine with the ndh20

1 Like

Hey guys just hoping by this Topic to ask if these are still relevant headphones in 2020. What other headphones can you compare these to? How are they for the price? I am asking about the gen 2 version.

I found them crisp, clean and clear. Then after a few months I had to EQ them to remove some treble and add some bass. A few months later I just sold them.
When they were EQ’d perfectly, they were Focal Elex’s. A week after I got the Elex’s I sold them.

Well I can compare it only to Eikons for closed backs that I have and that would no be fair. I do like how they sound however I bought them without trying and they are a bit small for my ears so become my wifes favorites.

Sound wise I would say are pretty balanced headphones with good base and detial.

What are you after sound wise? And what you have currently?

There are other options for sure I would probably be eying Elegia(adorama sale) or Elex now. Just Elex is no go for EU and I bought them for nice price.

Hey thanks for the reply.

I have a dt 770 (80ohm). Looking to make a decent upgrade. I want something that has smoother highs, a little better mids, good imaging, spacious soundstage. The thing is I also want the nice sub bass of the 770.

I have made a topic as well if you are interested(not sure if I am allowed to link to it).

P.S. Yeah I am from EU so no Elex but focal seems nice… Also the earcups on the T5s are small huh?

Would say that probably standard Beyer so if 770 firts you T5p would fit as well.

I dont know about highs as I am not much trebel sensitive or I haven’t yet bought some treble murder headphones except for M50x :smiley:

I also dont find them having very spacious soundstage comparing to other HP I have.

Also what music you are listen to and what is you budget. Others might be more insightfull as I am still rather noobie but this also can narrow recomendations.

1 Like

Well to keep things tidy as I have another post regarding this, with all the info, I will just link here:

1 Like

So can anyone compare these with Audeze LCD - 2C in terms of bass(quantity,clarity,extension), treble and imaging?

Can anyone tell me what the sound leak is like on the T5p 2nd gen? I’m considering buying them and using them at the office so not bothering my co-workers is a high priority.

It depends on the volume but I would say they do leak quite a bit comparing to lets say eikons. If you like your music louder and your office is quiet I would consider probably other options.

Thanks for the answer.

Another question I forgot to ask: has anyone tried both, the DT1770 and the T5p.2? And if so, how do they compare?
I’m mostly interested in which are more comfortable to listen to for extended periods of time.

Tried these balanced?

Yes, but I don’t have them anymore, so hard to give an exact description.

Would you say that it was an upgrade that was worth the cable cost, if you remember?

It was. More power and a tad more detailed; I prefered it as balanced for sure.

1 Like

My pads are ruined, Could anyone please suggest good replacement pads.
Thanks