Billie Eilish Grammy-winning budget studio setup

Thought this was interesting.

“The production setup was relatively simple, too. According to a Pro Sound Network interview with O’Connell, all there was in this bedroom was a pair of $200 Yamaha HS5 nearfield monitors with an H8S subwoofer ($450), a Universal Audio Apollo 8 interface and Apple’s Logic Pro X. Oh, and a bed, of course, against one of the walls, on which Eilish sat to record with an Audio Technica AT2020 mic (at least, in the early days).”

2 Likes

Yeah if you have know how you can make great tracks, although do note that she had a fair amount of audio engineers working with her as well, such as Rob Kinelski and John Greenham for mastering (not trying to degrade her achievement or anything but just acknowledge the other excellent people working with her)

Yea true, this isn’t my field, just thought it was cool to see what gear they use. (Are those speakers and sub good btw?)

From the article also:
“The tight, closed setting lent the album an intimate vibe that made it feel like Eilish’s at-times breathy, feathery vocals were being whispered right into your ears. The stems (that is, individual layers of instruments and music) were then sent to mix engineer Rob Kinelski to compile.”

The HS5 based on a classic (the NS-10) and experienced engineers can really do a good job with them for mixing based on how well they know the speakers (not really good for mastering though). Adding a sub is good to accurately mix bass, especially with when we all fall asleep being fairly bass heavy but mixed very well. The apollo 8 is a pretty high preforming interface with very good sound quality and lots of neat features, like being able to adjust the mic preamps via dsp to emulate the sound of classic preamps which is cool (although not as good as the real things). Although I don’t know if the AT2020 was actually used in the album for main vocals lol

1 Like

Thanks for the breakdown!

Just don’t go an run out to buy HS5’s tho, it’s not the best for listening for the price lol (the NS-10 is way worse tho for listening)

Lol got it, tbh I was pretty curious about it.

Janis Joplin’s turning her grave.