Blessing 2 Dusk VS. Thieaudio Clairvoyance

Treble or 5k + is fine to me on FD5,
2-4k area was problem for me, not enough energy

oh, ok. Then the zen will be better in that regard, but that upper-treble roll-off is still a big bottleneck on it, at least for my library. Its soundstage is also quite narrow as well (upper-treble roll-off is a factor in that).

Try to EQ your FD5 and youā€™ll get very close to my ideal fr curve. Iā€™ve done this in Neutron player (android)

30hz +2db
60hz +1.5db
2k + 3db
4k + 3db

The only thing with applying EQ like this is that Iā€™m loosing some of the natural sound, sound becomes realy colored. I donā€™t know how else to describe it.

You need a preamp with a value of -2db at least. Should help with clipping issues.

Sorry bro Iā€™m not sure I understand this

See that preamp thing at the bottom? You need to set the value to - 2db at least to help the bass and might help the treble quality. The overall volume will drop but you just need to raise the volume to compensate for it.

1 Like

Got it. As Iā€™m doing it by 2-3db down and up to zero again Iā€™m not sure I hear any difference other than lower volume

When you are using EQ to boost an area, it is likely to start clipping. The negative preamp value (same value as the highest boost is a good rule, so a bass boost of 1 db will need -1db preamp while a bass boost of 10 db will need -10db preamp) will help reduce the clipping.

Of course, some iems can handle A LOT of boost without loosing much quality/no-clipping (the Tin hifi P1 is one that can handle a lot of bass boost) while some others start suffering after only a few db.

2 Likes

Personally, if i wanted a sub-bass boost. I would use a single ā€œlow-shelfā€ band instead of the 2 you got and then giving it a Q value of around 0.6-0.8 and maybe give it 2 db boost from 80hz (or 60 if you want to).

Aaa OK I get it.I know itā€™s always better to reduce that to boost EQ bands.But FD5 has realy capable driver,and iā€™m not hearing this 1-2 dB as a problem for it.

Monarch probably is what you want then. lol It is probably a bassheadā€™s dream yet incredible clarity and detail in the mids. Iā€™ve called the Monarchā€™s treble region perfect on multiple occasions. Those EST drivers are so sweet.

The FD5 has elevated mids and makes for a warm experience which I do not care for vs my other IEMs. It is coherent vs hybrids though and is a very fast IEM.

What Q values do you have for the bass bands?

I wonder if the band at 60hz has a low Q value, so it actually affects the mid-bass as well rather than only the sub-bass area.

I think Monarch is the best choice for me as well. In the end if I get it I only might boost mid bass for slam and wormth and extra body to the baritones

Itā€™s not the fastest IEM, but then again it uses many BA drivers along with a DD all to create its wall of bass. Iā€™ve read that the two EST drivers make up the mids and highs so all the BAs and DD are for bass. Itā€™s kinda crazy.

If you really want a V signature though, you could look at something like a Legend X.

I havenā€™t touched q values

I prefer to use Q values instead of BW.

Try to combine those 2 bands into a single low-shelf, using a Q value of between 0.6-0.8. at 60hz. It might be better.

Easiest and fastest way to compare the differences is to make a copy of the preset you have right now and then switch between those 2 and see which one sounds better.

Bass actually is not an issue here. Itā€™s the mids, after EQ applied like I said itā€™s like Iā€™m addingā€¦ I donā€™t know how to describe itā€¦ Like unnaturalness
But it still sounds waay batter than stock.

If your 60hz band is affecting the mid-bass, it will affect the overall tonality (warmer) which will affect the mids as well. Thats why I suggest that you just use a low-shelf band from 60 or 80hz so it doesnt affect the mid-bass.

Unless you also want to boost the mid-bass.

Legend X was never on my radar due to its price. But hey who knowsā€¦ Maybe someday

Yeees give me bass rumble in my face :grinning::+1:
Sub and mid bass is very nice the way it is now :love_you_gesture: