Bookshelf Speaker recommendation?

@Rhah If you can put them on stands I highly recommend, shakes my room

2 Likes

That looks beastly, sir! Very nice.

They will be on desktop stands, yes. The only thing I’m a bit doubtful about still is their size, as I don’t have a whole lot of room on my desk and they’re quite a bit larger than the 5" KRKs. I could go with the MR524s, but I’m not sure how much low-end I’d be sacrificing then.

1 Like

Oh right on sorry didn’t see they would be for a desk, reviews recommend the 5’s with a matching sub, but I had these on my desk and it wasn’t to crazy big, just depends on what big is to you

1 Like

This is what it looks like with the T5V on my desk. I really couldn’t go any bigger (hence the T10S under the desk).

I’m currently running the JBL 305P MKII with the JBL LSR310S in the same arrangement.

1 Like

can you link this desk by chance and are those 24" monitors?

Yes, they’re 24" monitors.

The desk is the Ikea Gertron. It’s very nice but be warned that it comes unfinished. I didn’t realize that until I got it home. Ikea has wood oil they recommend but I went to Lowe’s to pick up some finishing wax instead.

1 Like

right on thank you, setup is great

1 Like

How do you find the JBLs vs T5V? Also do you ‘need’ the sub with your T5Vs?

While the 305P MKII is a great speaker for the price, I think the T5V is significantly better. The T5V is more detailed, less bright, less fatiguing and lays out a better soundstage with better imaging.

The bass is pretty comparable between these speakers but neither of them will impress you with deep or thumping bass. What’s there is detailed and musical, but there isn’t much thump.

I recently switched my DAC/Pre from a Topping DX7s to a Schiit Jotunheim and the Jot brought out a lot more warmth and body with the T5V. Whether or not you “need” a sub will depend on a lot of factors: How much bass do you “need”, what DAC/Pre are you using, and room acoustics/positioning. Right now, I feel that with the DX7s, I really needed a sub to make them sound full. With the Jotunheim, I think I could get by without one.

1 Like