Bookshelf Speaker recommendation?

Hi everyone, I would like some recommendations for bookshelf speakers or powered monitors at probably the $200 - $400 price range but could extend it a bit. I’m also trying to get a DAC and amp but was thinking that I should probably get the speakers first but you can also recommend me one if it’s okay to post it here.

Edit: I’m leaning towards the Triangle BR03 but not sure if that would be the best fit for my needs.

This will be mainly used for my desktop for music, movies, and gaming. Yeah, in that order. I’ve looked at Zeos’ guides but not sure if it’s updated with the new ones in the market that might be, I guess better? Anyway, any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks.

What kind of music do you listen to?

1 Like

Rock (mostly metal), Hiphop, Reggae and a little bit of everything though pretty much mainstream music except for the rock genre.

Hey, welcome!

Not the most direct of advice but I’d encourage to think about what you want longer term a bit more. There’s a lot of us that would throw a good chunk of money to chase that 5% upgrade but given that you’re a the very beginning you have options.

Have you heard high end systems before, how much fidelity and thump or stage or just plain fun are you looking for? I ask because you can spend money (maybe a little more than your budget) and be happy enough to never want to upgrade.

Buying a good pair of powered monitors means you don’t have to buy a DAC, you don’t have to buy an Amp and you have a lot more desktop real estate free for whatever it is you keep on your desk.

There are a lot of options out there but you will never have the opportunity you have now available to you; That is starting from a clean slate.

Once you buy that first piece of equipment you’re on a path that is set and will dictate the rest of your purchases…

Unfortunately your speakers ARE the most important part of the chain, so if you want good powered monitors you’ll have to spend a bit more but like I said you may be done after your first and only purchase.

Whatever you do, just enjoy the music. That’s what we’re all here for.

2 Likes

Thanks db_Cooper. I haven’t heard any high end systems before or at least for speakers. I’ve heard high end cans but I do not know much about the technicality of it but would say that the sound I’ve heard is far better from the ones I’m used to and I mean it’s night and day.

As for the DAC or AMP, I’m planning to get it just because I also want to use a headphone in the future but right now the speakers/monitors are my priority. The availability of these speakers is killing me though.

1 Like

adam audio t5v are pretty good for 400/pair. the bro’s are good, but need amp/dac and more $. kanto makes some great powered in that price range. jbl powered, but wait for them to be on one of their massive sales. edi’s swans and audioengines in the price range i feel you do not get the bang for buck as much as kanto, adam audio, or jbl.
i agree with DB, starting fresh rocks :slightly_smiling_face: but everyone has a budget, pay more get more. in your budget though, i think powered would be the way to go.

3 Likes

I may wait for those JBLs but do you think the Vanatoo Transparent One Encore is great? I feel like it’s gimmicky at certain points but not really sure. I’m looking at Kanto Tuk and the Vanatoo at this point but might consider just getting the br0 and get an amp/dac so I can also use it for a headphone.

As for the budget, I could not go past $1k at this point for just speakers so that’s that. Thanks for the inputs though. I’ll keep those in mind.

the vanatoo’s are nice. ribbon tweeter on the kanto tuk’s though… :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

you will have better sound out of the kanto tuk’s, but more versatility out of the bro3’s with an amp/dac.

the bro3’s have a pretty great sound as well. i am debating on triangles or tekton for my next purchase. How space limited are you? tekton has 4 or 5 pairs of speakers for 765$ or less. 2 or 3 pairs for 565$ on sale atm. the mini lore monitors are 565$ atm with an 8" woofer + tweeter. they are large bookshelfs.

1 Like

Corporate shill here - incoming bias! TUK would be a nice all-in-one solution since it already has a DAC built-in (technically not a DAC since the speaker has a full digital signal path) and a headphone out which is a feature missing on a lot of competitors products - eliminates the need for an additional piece of gear. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Ok, after watching a few reviews, may not be the best reference on what to buy but so far I’m leaning towards the BR03 but I am not sure what AMP & DAC to buy or even a amp/dac combo. Just enough to power those triangles I guess? As for space, a bit limited but planning to mount the BR03 (if ever I get those) since most of the reviews I’ve watched mentioned about having just enough space from the wall for it to sound not too bassy.

@kantoliving - Kanto will probably be it but still looking for suggestions. Would definitely like to have a separate dac and amp though. Thanks for chiming in.

topping pa3 is around 110$, emotiva basx a100 229$
ifi zen dac 129$(if you want warm sound), donald dac 99$, topping d10 90$
cambridge audio axr100 499$, sprout100 599$

some suggestions to check out. onkyo and harmon kardon stereo integrated are also good for under 500$, but are avr size units. first line are amps, then dacs, then integrated.

I currently have a pair of these in my listening room and they’re very good for the price. They also work really well on a desk.

How’s the bass performance on those?

Tried edifier s1000db, r2000db, mackie mr624 and hivi m200mkiii+,
Tried in store: jbl 305 and adam t5v
I kept the mr624. Would have kept the swans but the noise and hiss was ridiculous on mine so sent them back.
If you need a set of speakers for around 400, imo mackie mr624.
I should add that edifiers where much quieter than the studio monitors when source is a computer. My PC has tons of interference.
Studio monitors picked ridiculous amount of noise from my computer. Even moving the mouse made static noises. Got a topping e30, connected with toslink and problem was gone.

2 Likes

Bass on the T5V is clean but not deep.

I’m considering the MR624s as a replacement for my KRK RP5s and 10" sub. I bought this setup back when I was still into heavy electronic music and wanted lots of bass, but the dedicated sub has now become a bit redundant when my taste in music has changed over the years.

Do you think that just a pair of the MR624s will still satisfy me, considering I’ve become accustomed to having a sub? (Of course I realize that it’s near impossible to get the same effect with just 2 monitors, but if I’d now take out the sub and stick with just my two RP5s, the bass would be severely lacking. So how would the Mackies do in that context?)

Thanks! That’s good to know.

tl:tr A sub is not essential with the mr624. It`s a personal preference.

Depends on what you listen to and what you do most of the time. I mostly listen to trance, house, dnb,psytrance and find the power the short tight kicks have adequate enough not to use a sub. Specially if you sit further from the speakers the bass develops good. Watchign a movie is awesome like that. Listening to those tracks with sub all day is not feasible because of neighbors,headache etc. I do miss my sub for hardstyle and action movies tho. You need a sub for big kicks like in hardstyle, big room house or action movies in general. It`s a personal preference thing but monitor speakers,even 6.5 inches big are nowhere near a good sub if you want lows.

Thanks for your reply, that clears things up. I used to listen to a lot of techno, dnb, and dubstep when I bought this set, but nowadays I mostly listen to rock, ambient, and the more calmer forms of EDM, so I don’t really need a sub anymore because I hardly ever listen to music as loud as I used to (99% of the time I now use them for background music while working or reading).

So it’s good to know that the mackies still provide sufficient bass to make these genres enjoyable to listen to. Thanks again!

Familiar story. I found the solution in mr624. I wanted speakers that didnt lack in the low department but also didnt make you want to buy a sub. I had passive speakers before which sounded excellent but didn`t go below 60hz. Those absolutely not fun to work with or to listen on without a sub.
Since you listen to ambient i recommend Cryochamber. They have high quality ambient music.

Cheers man! That makes me more confident about the mackies being a viable replacement. I appreciate it!

Oh yes :wink: :+1: