Bored with Verite. Suggestions?

My only concern would be if the speed and cleanliness of the beryllium driver of the Verite and the measurement focus of the M15 might still be a synergy mismatch. Haven’t heard either, so can’t speak directly from experience…just thoughts based on research. Should have the power, though.

2 Likes

Another monster DAP that I hear is really good for headphones would be the ibasso dx220 max. Might be something to look into…

2 Likes

That thing is HUGE

2 Likes

Yes it is quite hefty, I’ve heard really great things about it though. I would personally probably take it over the fiio as I’m really not a fan of their more analytical sound sig.
I think @M0N has the 220max so maybe he could give you some advice or impressions of it if you are interested.

1 Like

So I kinda actually have some impressions of it in the p6 thread mainly starting here and going on later in the thread

3 Likes

It’s mostly battery!

4400mAh 3.8V Li-Polymer battery for the digital section, and 4pcs 900mAh Li-polymer battery form the +/-8.4V battery pack for the analog section

1 Like

As with any audio component, the power supply and power delivery is important for good performance lol

4 Likes

A battery with a headphone jack. LOL

1 Like

Just read through this thread a bit. Hmmmm the buttons issue is upsetting for me as well. The Fiio m15 does in fact have those buttons and is also half the weight and much more pocketable. I walk around the neighborhood listening to full size headphones with the Mojo-Poly.

That’s what I want to do with a DAP to replace that combo as well.

Anybody know of anyone who has been able to directly compare the Fiio M15 to the ibasso 220 max?

1 Like

From memory the m15 isn’t going to have as much control over full size headphones as the dx220 max, but the m15 still drives headphones better than some other options in that range imo, but the 220 max is kinda just on a higher tier, that being said though the fiio might be softer and more forgiving here (but like the 220 max takes it hands down imo)

Regarding my thoughts on the m15 when I have gotten demos in, it had a solid ui that was fast and simple, a neutral smoother tone to it that drove some easier to drive headphones and iems well that I tried, feature rich, and easily the best sounding and preforming dap fiio has made yet. Although I don’t know if I find that that competitive compared to other options imo, I might prefer something like a lotoo paw 6000 in the similar price range due to its better depth, more control in the low end, and more refined presentation of treble for example (but the ui isn’t as fast as the fiio). Or possibly a kann cube if I wanted lots of punch and slam, great power for demanding headphones, but this might be a toss up with iems vs the m15 possibly (and I actually think the m15 drives iems better than the cube)

3 Likes

How do you think the M15 would handle the Verite in particular? Also, do you think there’s a better option of comparable size and weight that could power them as well as the m15 on over-ears balanced mode?

Can’t say too much since I haven’t tried that pairup, but I would say based on my experience with it, most likely decently well for the price imo.

So since you mentioned size and weight, that’s going to eliminate a fair amount of the options I would mention lol

Sounds like the M15 might just be the Mojo upgrade I’m looking for. I wonder if it could handle the Arya as well.

I don’t completly understand it, but if I read the information I read correctly the M15 shines in powering 300ohm cans better than anything on the market in the DAP category at least but not necessarily at 30ohms

This power stuff is always pretty confusing.

Most likely not based on other planar I tried on the m15

In terms of raw power possibly. You can adjust how much power you get by either current or voltage limiting the amp, and by giving additional voltage and current limiting the amp, they can adjust the power band to give more power at higher impedance, but they have lower power at lower impedance

I guess if I stick with the Verite then I’ll probably be better with the m15 assuming that I was wrong about just being bored with the warmer sound signature, but I wouldn’t necessarily be future proofing my set up to try something different with lower impedance…Ii have to admit I have been interested in Arya/Amanda for some time now but haven’t had a chance to try anything but the lowest tier hifiman from drop

Also you might want to keep your eye out for the upcoming Kann Alpha. Out of my price range by far, but it looks like the be all end all and maybe even pocketable.

Really? It’s only like a grand, it sits inbetween the og kann and the kann cube, actually cheaper than the m15 lol. Curious to hear it, would be nice if it lost a bit of power but gained more refinement compared to the cube. So far my experiences with the kann line is that they do a great job at driving headphones but do trade a bit of refinement and finesse in the process (but for headphones it’s worthwhile)

Oh you’re totally right!

I was looking at the wrong source. The source was listing it as $8000 USD!?!

Big difference.

I guess this is a contender for me now…

Honestly I think Fiio raised the bar with the M15 and it’s changing the DAP Market forever as we speak. In a way my best move would probably be to wait :sob:

Yes very big lol

Not really imo, just another competent offering in the price range to me. I do think fiio did change the dap market more with the m11 tho

Edit: fiio has done a lot for the dap market overall throughout the years imo

1 Like

My thoughts are that they released a slim-ish easily pocketable DAP capable of 8 volts balanced at half the price of A&K

That being said, with this opinion I think other manufacturers are now responding.

Like this alpha which looks AWESOME.

12 volts and made to be pocketable? Crazy.

I just don’t know about the A&K interface… Can I use Qobuz, Tidal etc?