Bored with Verite. Suggestions?

Hey guys, the truth is that despite how awesome it is, the Verite is a bit too warm for me. Like…it’s hardly noticable to the point where it comes down to more of a feeling than an audible muffling of any kind. I just don’t find that they get me excited. I’ve owned them for over half a year now, and just never found myself as excited about listening compared to the Focal Elex in particular.

My main complaints are two things:

Openess - these are a set I would more describe as semi-open vented. Because of this I don’t think the intended goal of 3D sound can be met as well. Ultimately this is one of my biggest priorities in a headphone and what drew me to the Verite in the first place. It does this really well with the Universe pads but then the tonality is off so I use the flat pads.

Slight veil - It’s truly slight and may have something to do with this slight lack in openess but these seem to be holding something back from the music. Some layer. There is some filter that just ever so slightly smooths things over. This is actually great for listening to symphony music with symbols, horns and strings up pretty loud. Reminds me of the Sennheiser 58x in that way. The Elex was not as good with classical music.

So I would essentially like less veil, more excitement, and even more openess and stage if there’s anything out there that fits this description. Any ideas?

1 Like

whats your budget?
arya or clears
he1000v2, he1000se or utopia depending on if budget allows

these are some options that come to mind.

2 Likes

What amp/dac are you using

3 Likes

I had the clears and they aren’t quite what I’m looking for when it comes to stage.

1 Like

I have been using the Mojo-Poly

1 Like

if you like the openness but want a lot more size, try the higher end hifimans perhaps

2 Likes

Susvara’s with a good chain would probably do it :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Are you using a Mojo just because you want portability? What’s your amp? Given the reputation of the Verite I’d have to think that what you seek would be found upstream?

I just had an experience with my LCD-2, similar description to what you said, just getting tired looking for more since I know there is more, but having switched to a Holo Cyan DAC the headphones have risen to another level especially unveiling some of that LCD-2 veil.

4 Likes

I have been intrigued by this headphone but haven’t had the chance to try one…

1 Like

I am a solely portable listener. It’s a bit strange I know but I don’t sit to listen. I pace and move from place to place, or even walk around outside. If I am stationary it’s usually because I’ve brought my setup to bed.

Currently looking at comparing the Fiio M15 to the Mojo-Poly setup.

I think it may be that the general ZMF tuning style isn’t quite for me though. I have never been partial to warmer tunings, except for maybe the Sennheiser 58x which made certain things more enjoyable than anything I had tried up until that point. Namely Orchestra music.

1 Like

FWIW I tried my Verite C on the Mojo (no Poly) and it JUST about drives it, it loses a lot of dynamics on the headphones, sounds very strained. Not a good match IMO.

Now it’s not really a fair comparison, since I generally use them on a DNA Stratus.

But I thought they were better on the Liquid Platinum, Whammy, Tuba, SW51+, and even the Jottenheim. None of those seemed strained driving them.

3 Likes

I can’t comment on portable amps, outside the Mojo and a IFI Hip DAC, but I wouldn’t use either to drive the Verites.
If you want portable, the Verite may not be for you.

2 Likes

One of the few HP’s I’d love to hear too along with a good chain…maybe one day :man_shrugging: we do have a few members on here that have both I’m sure they can help out :+1:

2 Likes

After reading the thread, I recommend a new amp and DAC to truly enjoy those headphones. I can’t tell you how many times my opinion and experience differs from reviewers because they have insufficient amps and DACs. There is a reason why ZMF sells source gearb in the store and have recommendations for their headphones.

Additionally, any future headphones may run into the same issue.

5 Likes

The issue is going to be finding a higher tier headphone that works well with the Mojo, or whatever portable amp suggestion people make.
It rules out most of the hard to driver Planar’s, and IME anything with a higher output impedance even though Chord claim it’ll drive 600 Ohm headphones.

Clear might work if you liked the Elex on there, but it is pickier amp wise than the Elex, and I don’t have one here to test.

1 Like

That’s good to know. It’s good to hear a direct comparison from someone using the exact same equipment. No Poly will make no difference.

I’m going to continue on with my current path of switching out the Mojo-Poly for a Fiio M15 which seems to be the new monster of portable amplification.

1 Like

Seems there’s a trend.

I think this will be less of an issue with newer tech.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if out of topic,
would you consider a cheap earphone?

Penon Orb, Penon Volt, Kinera Nanna,
Unique Melody MEST.

it’s simply amazing

1 Like

Looking more for open back over-ears

1 Like

Fiio literally uses the word Monsterous in their own description.

You guys think on a theoretical level these could make the Verite show me some attitude it’s not showing with the Mojo?

1 Like