BS companies say Rant - feel free to jump in

Ill be the first to admit that I have fallen for some of these claims in the past. ehem 7.1 sourround sound headphones… ehem razor. But i view stuff like audio cables as a visual feature only. For example I use HartAudio Cables on all my gear, only because I think they look nice. I have yet to hear a difference in power cables/ interconnects/ headphone cables…etc. The only thing I know that does have an effect in that market are poor construction or contact corrosion.

4 Likes

Oh dear god why?! Its like 3 bucks in tubing and dirt packed around a cheap cable.

2 Likes

That is called isolation, sir. /s

2 Likes

$200,000…oh dear.

1 Like

I’m dying

6 Likes

Oh my mistake good sir. twas my butler responding prior. I simply must have such an exquisite isolation cableau. :wink:

4 Likes

In terms of a good idea which is being missold I would nominate the Harman response curve for headphones. To be clear I am not criticizing Harman’s research and the idea of evaluating preferences and developing a response curve which appeals to the greatest number of people is very sensible from the perspective of a manufacturer looking for high volume sales. However, tuning is entirely a subjective personal preference. Whether people like the Beats bass heavy sound, the very neutral and analytical sound of Etymotic or the Beyerdynamic treble peak is entirely a matter of preference. There is no right or wrong. To be honest I don’t like Grado tuning but they clearly have a defined house sound and I am glad about that as it would be a poorer hobby without them. I love my AQ Nighthawks but fully understand why some hate them. However, there is a large, seemingly growing, body of opinion on websites, reviewers and such like which thinks the Harman curve is the “right” FR tuning and dismisses headphones with different tuning as having been badly designed and can get really rather objectionable in the way they dismiss any heretics not just embracing the Harman curve. If you love the Harman curve then great, buy headphones tuned to it or use EQ to apply it. But it is no more right or wrong than other FR curves and if you like an oddball FR then there is nothing wrong with that.

6 Likes

Another way of thinking about it is that the Harmon Curve is like finding the perfect fit for a pair of jeans for 1,000 people and averaging the measurements to determine the ideal size.

Then you should be able to sell that one size of jeans to all 1,000 people and everybody should like them. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yup. And people with big asses or people with small asses are complaining it doesn’t fit well and get criticized for being different because they don’t use nOrMaL jeans. Nope.

Even if you’re going for 100% hi-fi objectivist “give me the truth, I want to feel like I’m in the studio”:

Not everyone hears things the same way when “speakers” (drivers) are right next to your ears. Look at your ears. Look at “google image search” for ears. Look at how different all these ears are. Sound bounces there. And I’m not even talking about the inner ear and the possible damages or the personal differences (some people can hear 15khz, others 25khz, some people are treble-sensitive, some people are bass-sensitive, some ears hurt when X sound is played, some don’t even know what “ears hurt” means, etc).

Two years ago I was a “harman neutral” bitch, now I know why: I did not knew better… and I want to feel like I’m in the studio. Harman neutral headphones, for me, sound broken now.

Yeah. And I haven’t even talked about subjective preferences (i.e.: “I don’t want to feel like I’m in the studio, I want more bass, mids, etc.”)

1 Like

In the immortal words of Jay-Z “can’t wear skinny jeans cuz my knots don’t fit”

2 Likes

the gold helps the light travel faster :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well you gotta shine with all those light digits you are sending! It makes the music brighter.

PROFFESIONAL BASS I NEED THIS a0NZ1pn_700bwp.png

1 Like

Yep. Some audiophiles shit all over Meze 99 Classics because they’re warm and bassy, nowhere near clinging to the Harman Curve.

So what? If people like me enjoy them, who the hell cares to what curve they adhere? I own headphones that do cling to the curve, and I enjoy them. But there are times I’m in the mood for some rich, chocolatey sound, and I use my Mezes and enjoy.

My ears are very treble sensitive due to serious tinnitus, so I don’t like Beyerdynamics. They don’t agree with me. But that doesn’t make them “shit headphones.” They just don’t agree with my ears.

5 Likes

That’s the exact thing i was talking about… i got the Neo i love them but for some reason, they call them in their marketing materials “balanced and natural”, screw that.
I like the dark warm sound they have

2 Likes

Ha! Balanced and natural, my ass! But they are fun as hell when the mood strikes me.

1 Like