BS companies say Rant - feel free to jump in

Sometimes i don’t get audio companies, some of the marketing material just doesn’t make sense to me sometimes…

For example: how many times have you read the phrase “natural and balanced sound” on a set of a V-shaped/ Dark and warm set of headphones

why is it so hard to say “tuned to fully enjoy your music” or whatever else, if i wanted natural and balanced id buy reference headphones

2 Likes

Gotta love when you put “marketing professionals” in charge of advertising instead of the people that actually design the products. Audio, computer parts, everything really.

4 Likes

This thread is going to be great. There’s a ton of crap, and not just on no-name amazon headphones… like these Full HD 1080p headphones. :thinking:

thumb_i-love-me-some-1080p-audio-72233658

Nad HP50s: Closed-backs with “roomfeel technology” for “soundstage”. Nope. I love these headphones, but, I had to add angled pads to get decent soundstage.

THX AAA: “Achromatic Audio Amplifier”. Achromatic meaning “linear”. Most of the time, people who don’t like it say it’s bright. Most of the time, these dac/amp combos are sold with “warm” AKM DACs. Just something I noticed – haven’t heard a THX amp yet.

Hi-Res audio stickers everywhere… because if your amp/dac/headphones do 20 001hz, this +1khz will apparently change everything. :rainbow:

4 Likes

Here at X company we have developed a space age conductor technology using (insert random gas) and designed by HANS from Germany. For a small kings ransom you too could own this magical power cable!

Disclaimer: All products are made in china and all tests were conducted in a vacuum sealed chamber made of low back ground steel in a $1000000 test facility using only the best medical grade gear. Consumer experience may vary.

3 Likes

oh boy… i may need some popcorn for this

4 Likes

Here’s the one that kills me: Headphone companies that market either high-impedance and/or low-sensitivity cans and scream, “Can be easily driven by a phone!”

Uh-huh. OK. Maybe an LG phone with one of the super-duper DAC/amps. That’s about it.

3 Likes

lmao reminded me of this.

7 Likes

Ha. I see THX’s first product, a DAC/amp phone dongle, is $200.

Of course, it is: It’s the THX tax. :slight_smile:

Ah, a name that used to mean something… Then everyone had something “THX Certified” good or bad.

Then we get those “awards” that almost everyone has… And bought ( cough MSI cough )

2 Likes

dont you know… adding a poop shaped rock to the top of your amp adds clarity and soundstage… add two and its even better! only for $10,000 apiece. Can’t hear the difference? oh that’s because your ears aren’t trained yet

5 Likes

If I hadn’t come across this in another thread an hour ago I would have thought you were shitting(:poop:) me.

2 Likes

Yeah there are some obvious trolls i.e.: Audiophile Rocks

I had a friend who was in the crowd that Blizcon he almost lost his shit when he said that

1 Like

Audio has attracted a crazy fringe of snake oil peddlers and scam artists since long before I developed an interest in it. Weirdly for many years the headphone segment was an island of sanity but over the last 15 years or so the same more expensive = better hype train has really become embedded in headphones too. That said, even the good companies well grounded in good design love buzz words and techno-babble.

That’s the thing… in some cases its not just “snake oil” or stuff like that, its just that the marketing people have no idea what the product does, like headphones that are v-shaped but marketed as “balanced and natural”, or an amp that is built to be fun-sounding but marketed as “clean”…

It kinda feels like at no point did they read the memo from the design team stating what the product actually is meant to sound like…

2 Likes

That’s some heavy audio shit right there :smiley:
Clearly too much fiber

1080P audio… wow that one hell of frequency response :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Audiophile ethernet cables, when i see one being used in a setup, i just can’t deal with them.

It take less than 3 brain cells to know this wont change A SINGLE THING about how your equipment sounds.

4 Likes

Got to love how they use connectors for tool-less assembly to look less shitty.

3 Likes

Gotta make 'em look sturdy so people think they’re worth more.
I bet the Nexans patches i make in 30 seconds perform as good, if not better.