"Budget" Amp/DAC stack or combo?

Here’s what I’ve tried, and what I use now:

Schiit fulla 2: My first dac/amp. It did the job nicely, the dac sounds good. Not a ton of power for my dt770 80ohm, but good enough. I love the form factor.

Micca origen G2: Bought to compare with the fulla 2. The fulla 2 has more power, sounds slightly better. The optical on the G2 has less power than usb by a noticeable amount. I love the form factor on this one too, and the physical switches to select between speakers and headphones, as well as between usb and optical inputs.

Schiit modi 2 uber: Sounded good, much like the fulla 2.

Schiit magni 3: Plenty of power, slightly warm.

Archel Pro: Lots of power, very clean, but a bit too much high end for my preference.

JDS Atom: Amazing. Transparent throughout the entire volume range, plenty of power. My current amp, and I don’t see myself upgrading any time soon, or later for that matter.

Schiit modi 3: Sounds better than the fulla 2 and modi 2 uber, better selector switch. My current dac; I actually have two of them in use. One for my PC, the other for my console gaming setup. One of the best dacs you can get for $100.

Tl;dr: JDS Atom + Modi 3 = win.

2 Likes

wow that’s actually very useful

ive heard a lot about the “schiit sound signature”, do you have any info on that or is that just nonsense that people like to spread? you said the fulla was warm, is the modi 3 also warm or do DACs not have any type of signature since it’s just a DAC

Good point! I am waiting for that also- as a candidate dac to pair with my 789… which should arrive someday.

It’s not just a rumor, either. A WeisonTek spokeperson (I assume) confirmed it here:.

1 Like

can you expand on what you mean by them being too much on the high end?

Hard to describe; it’s much easier to hear the difference. It’s almost as if it’s a bit “airy”, or has a very, very slight piece of fabric in front. I guess the best way to describe it would be “smooth”. Not bad by any means.
When I said the fulla had that sound, I meant using it as an amp. As a dac, it was just like the modi 2 uber.
The modi 3 sounds a bit cleaner, but it’s not anything major. Most dacs in the $100 range will sound similar enough to not make a huge difference. Headphones will make the biggest difference in sound.

It was a bit too sharp with treble for me.

I’m always happy to stir up an active thread :slightly_smiling_face:
yeah I think I know what you mean since the Geshelli doesn’t have a gain control it’s always giving Max juice which could blow out the treble a bit
going back to the Fulla 2, when you use it as an amp is it just an amp? or like what’s the point of getting an all in one if you can only use one at a time?
or does it use both at the same time and you can use separately if you want to?
but as of right now I’m deciding on the Modi 3 and the Topping D10

was that with all headphones or just what you recall on the headphones you were wearing at the time?

I only have one pair of headphones I use at my desk; DT770 80 ohm (2016).

are those phones already sensitive for the high’s out of box? I ask all these questions as your comment stands out as different/unusual, so seeking clarification to understand better :smiley:

You could use the fulla 2 as an all in one, or just as a dac. For a while I used it as an all in one, but right before I sold it I was using it as just a dac. So you can do it either way, whichever suits your needs.

The d10 is nice. I like that it has optical out, though it only has usb in.

They do have a slight bump in treble.

How about a portable DAC/AMP combo?

Like a fiio q5s, topping nx4, or ifi xdsd?

Edit: or something like an es100 or fiio btr3

1 Like

Yeah I am in a similar position, But I definitely want something a littler more moderately priced. I was thinking the Fiio K3, The ifi nano idsd Le or saving for the iDSD Black Label. Basically the $90- $200 range.

1 Like

The k3 isn’t really portable tbh, I just think that’s a little large for portable.

Ifi products are great, so for that just pick for your budget. The black label micro is pretty large though

1 Like

I just want something that can do it all, I do not mind if it is a little big! I also just do not want to Upgrade for at least a year.

Well, I think that the idsd micro black label won’t disappoint. A more budget and portable option could be the q5s or xduoo xd05.

1 Like

Thanks you appreciate the help!!

1 Like

Just curious, what headphones are you going to be using this with?