Budget Bobo WA8: Little Bear B4-X and what dac?

I’ve been lusting hard for the Woo Audio WA8 but even if I had 2k sitting around, I have way too many other responsibilities and expenses to justify that purchase. So I figure the next best thing is is to cobble together a “Poor Man’s WA8” around the Little Bear B4-X and a cheap Dac. I know that it won’t approach the sound quality, build quality, or cool gold color of the WA8 but it will allow me to sit on the back patio and enjoy a touch of tube goodness whilst I quaff craft cream soda.

The source will be an iPhone so that knocks out all Bluetooth options. Apple’s AAC is fine for cutting the grass or riding my bike but falls short when it comes to dedicated listening. The phones will probably be my Drop 6XXs.

The criteria to keep in mind when suggesting:

CHEAP! This is a working man’s rig. Dac cost should be less than $100 with something in the $50 to $80 range ideal.

Portable. I’m taking this out on the patio or up to the local brewery, or to a cabin in the woods. I’m not going to be hooked to mains power.

Not too Powerfull. Low power out is fine. The Little Bear will handle the heavy lifting. I just want something to handle the digital duties better than the standard Lighting to 3.5mm adapter. I don’t wasn’t to overdrive the input on the amp.

Not too much character: I don’t want a lot of personality in the Dac. Options with a strong sonic signature, however fun it may be, aren’t really what I’m looking for. I don’t have any illusions about this though. I know at this price neutrality is a long shot and everyone’s idea of neutral is a bit different so I’m just looking to weed out egregious offenders.

Did I mention cheap?

Dongle dacs seem to fit all the above criteria but which one? There are like a berjillion of them and I haven’t had very much experience with them. I will say I don’t mind using adapters(I’m already going to be the kook with the giant headphones and multiple boxes dangling from my phone)so I’ll take lighting and USB c options.

So hit me with what you got.

And speaking of the Little Bear B4-x… I have a friend who owns one of these little gems, but the battery has gone bad on his and he cannot find a replacement battery anywhere. I have tried searching myself and have come up empty as well.

Does anyone have any ideas, or should I tell him that unfortunately the little bear is toast? I looked on Amazon and incredibly they still sell the product, brand new for $109.00. I have a feeling this will be the recommendation. But if anyone has any ideas on the battery, feel free to share. Thanks!

I had the KAEI Tap-1 for a bit. It’s transportable, has both solid state and tube options, balanced and SE in/out, and a desktop (power supply) or portable (battery) option. It can have up to 4900 mW of output (desktop). It uses two op amps, which are swappable. I liked it a lot. There’s a Tap-2 out now that’s just SE and up to 1000 mW of power. The Tap-2 is around $100ish.

The Oriolus ba300s is a balanced tube amp that adds 350 mW (no volume control).

1 Like