Hello from Australia!
I have been lurking through the forums for a bit and there is so much to get through it’s causing my brain to explode.
This is basically driven by me wanting something for work which I could also take home and use in my study if I wanted.
- I have a Dell Win10 laptop which connects back to a dock.
- DAC and/or AMP for headphones. Headphones are Koss KPH30i (has a mic which i use for meetings) and DT 990 250ohm (for just listening). Looking to get something close backed for better isolation at work.
- Easy to grab volume knob. I currently use my Oppo HA-2 on the desk at work and it’s annoying to have to pick it up to adjust the volume. I sit it awkwardly on the dock to get access to the knob.
- Optional - Additional input from Android phone either as headphone or USB
- Not sure - something with a mic input… have thought about getting an antlion mic
- Using the same work DAC and/or AMP I would want to connect these to monitors (powered or not). I have not determined which monitors I want.
- External sub not a requirement (but perhaps could be accommodated with an external DSP unit).
- I would like to be able to use the outputs one of three ways:
- Plug in headphones, and output automatically switches to them; or
- Leave speakers and headphones in all the time and switch to them via a switch; or
- Leave speakers and headphones in all the time and they both have independent volume knobs - the wife as a UR44 audio interface which does this)
- USB connection to Laptop/Dock
- Balanced outputs not a requirement
- Digital input coax or fibre not required
- Headphone High and Low gain - Or so long as it has enough power to just handle anything.
- Capable of playing High Def formats like DSD256 as per HA2
- Capable of playing “clearly and cleanly” at low volumes through speakers. By this I mean that everything seems almost linear as you turn the volume down. More important at home when you just want something quiet. I realise that this is also dependent on the speakers themselves so this might be a bit hard to say.
By budget, I mean lets aim for say $800AUD for DAC/AMP components not including cables, adaptors or shipping. And for comparison sakes a JDS labs atom on the JDS website is $99USD, and it’s $240AUD from an Australian vendor. I could probably just buy it online, but in these COVID times, I prefer to give my money to a local reseller.
Thanks in advance.
PS. it has occurred to me just then, that for work… (not including the mic requirement) I could probably get away with getting a micca origen g2 or origen+ hmmm…