Budget/Entry IEMs recommendations

Just bought The T2 IEMS based of Z and his review and statements on this thread. Hope its not all hype!

1 Like

Definitely not just hype :smiley: Hope you like them too!

2 Likes

Exactly my thoughts! I have the DT 770 and the TIN T2 as well. Tin T2 are much cheaper and carry a very similar sound. The biggest similarity I would say is how clean both sound. And in many ways I would say that the T2 sound more alive and therefore better . The only time is use my DT 770 are when I want to hear the breath of the singer. That little detail is something that I enjoy and cannot hear in the small TIN T2 drivers
I would easily recommend the TIN T2 over the DT 770 to anyone

Edit: another thing I noticed while listening to The Lalala song - Unnies on both the tin t2 and the beyerdynamics is that besides a difference in Soundstage which probably explains why you can hear the artists sipping air in when singing is that there is also a crazy difference in seperation between the left channel and the right channel. Right now Iā€™m also listening to Right? By the Unnies and itā€™s crazy how much more seperation there is in the beyerdynamics. But besides that I would say that the TIN T2 are more pleasant and also less thin which helps alot of music specially bad quality mp3ā€™s sound better. While I can mostly only enjoy higher quality files with the beyerdynamics

1 Like

Definitely not hype. Just watch out with removing the blue tip, because even though it feels great it is VERY cheap. One of the blue tips is already broken beyond belief and Iā€™ve only had them for a month or so

2 Likes

Not sure what you mean by ā€œBudget/Entry IEMsā€ but I have the Westone W10s ($200) which was my beginning into high-end IEMs. I plan to get the W40s eventually which are $500.

The W10s have been really great for my listening preferences: Classical, Rock, EDM. The only thing they lack IMO is bass but they are a single driver so I didnā€™t expect them to really have great bass.

Same happened to one of my Tin T2 blue foam tips. I got it stuck in my ear and I tore into it when getting it out with some tweezers. Not fun.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s no good. I didnā€™t even use tweezers nor did I handle them in a weird way. The blue foam is just waiting to tear
But after using the foam tip I donā€™t want to use the silicone tips. So now I gotta find other foam tips

1 Like

Tanchjim Cora, the best i ever head, regardless the price.

My Review and Discussion topic: TANCHJIM CORA (Review and Discussion)

TIN T2ā€™s are a great value. Tipped with Dekoniā€™s, wired with Brainwavz 2.5mm balanced, and driven by the Fiio K3. Rocks my work day every day, all day.

2 Likes

So, I have a handful of different IEMs. Most around the $100 mark. My favorites are the iBasso IT01, and the Fiio F5. The F5 is a older model, but it has a signature I love. The iBasso are just pretty much amazing as far as sound quality goes. There have been times listening with them that it felt like sitting in the room with the musicians. I also have the Fiio F9 Pro, which I seldom use because I find the treble to be a bit much at times. This leads me to my latest purchase. The CCA C10. I find these to be nice, with only a couple of negatives. First, the plug is short, so if your phone/DAP is in a case it may not fully plug in. The style of build is a little boxy, much like several of the KZ models Iā€™ve seen. So if that turns you off, theyā€™re not for you. They have decent bass, mids are a little lacking, treble is there just enough for me, not piercing. Iā€™m thinking of getting a couple of other low end sets for comparisons sake. Leaning KZ, maybe Tin 2.

Adding on to @formervikingā€™s praise for the Fiio F5, having owned the Fiio F5s for around one and a half years now, I have encountered some issues and quirks that may concern those of you considering it as an option. The factory cable is quite flimsy, having failed only after 12 months of ownership, though I cannot comment on the durability of the second, 2.5mm balanced cable. I have never used them while doing any physical activity, not even getting off my bum before taking them out of my ears and setting them down or coiling them up for storage. Theyā€™ve also never been in my pockets, having kept them in either their hard case or a small fabric drawstring bag then occasionally bringing them along in a small, undisturbed compartment of my backpack. The cable split at the mmcx termination on both ends just before the right channel failed to receive a signal. Only recently have I managed to get a hold of a replacement cable that doesnā€™t cost twice as much as the retail price of the IEMs themselves. The coating on the units themselves have also failed quite early on, with the white base coat showing through on the edges of the outward facing portion and finding that the back of my nail can easily go through the coating and remove it with minimal effort; as does simply rubbing it with my finger against the leading edge of the coating. the L/R indicators are also non existent at this point.

As for the sound, these have a noticable peak in the lower treble at roughly 7kHz through 10kHz which, depending on the recording, can be rather offensive. Edit: This is usually not the case and if anything, is what makes the sound signature exciting to me. I would describe the treble here as being a bit too splashy and squeaky at times relative to the rest of the treble response. The upper treble also rolls off steeply after around 17kHz, lacking in shimmer and airiness overall in the upper region; exacerbating the issue in the lower treble in some cases. I am not sure if this characteristic is only present in my unit or the batch which my unit comes from, as I noticed at a lot of people have F5ā€™s with a black, fabric mesh filter covering the nozzle whereas mine has one made of shiny metal with numerous tiny holes letting the sound pass through. I also believe that I heard Fiio needed to address a problem with the mmcx connector early into production and has ended up making changes such as this one to the units following the revision, though this is just an assumption of mine. As such, how this difference affects the sound is something I cannot comment on. The housing is also rather big and I know people who simply cannot make them fit, though my experience is a rather comfy one.

Iā€™m not saying that the F5 is a bad IEM, I agree that as a whole, the sound is engaging and I enjoy using it. These are just my experiences with the F5 and yours may ultimately vary from mine.

1 Like

I can confirm most of what you said. Would also like to add that the cable is insanely hard to dettach, I fear it might break the connector if I insist, at least on my pair.

About their fit, they are hard to fit in a small ear, I have to intentionally angle them otherwise they start to hurt because of the body sitting against my ear canal.

The paintjob is indeed very weak, the edges on mine are already turning white after merely 2 months of just placing them on the desk at work.

Not a fan of the included tips either. The color coded ones are too hard, and the full black ones are too soft. I replaced them with some older tips I had around the house.

Canā€™t complain about the sound for their price however, I think Zeos already said enough in his IEM shootout. The case is cool, the balanced cable I could have done without. I have the version with the metal nozzle.

The included microphone is very useful if you use this at work and need to voicechat. Great balance between functionality and decent sound. Overall Iā€™m pleased with the buds, but wouldnā€™t buy them again because of the fit issues.

1 Like

Have to agree with you about the paint, same issue going on here. Basically if itā€™s the edges of them, then itā€™s worn away. I havenā€™t had any issues with the cable, but I also donā€™t change it out often. Iā€™ve tried the balanced and honestly havenā€™t noticed much of a difference, so mainly keep to the original. I almost feel I need a signature on my posts saying how old I am, and that it may effect my hearing. If these do have a treble peak, Iā€™m not hearing it.
I do think this weekend Iā€™m going to order a couple pairs of the cheaper KZ units, just to check them out & compare.

1 Like

I think I may have made some mistakes in my wording when describing the sound of my F5s. The issue is not nearly as bad as I may have portrayed it. Maybe not even a fault in most instances, as the boost in the 7-10kHz reigon is most likely what I ultimately end up missing in my other IEMs. I suppose it is all part of the sound signature that Iā€™ve come to enjoy listening to.

I should have also mentioned that I have
somewhat sensitive ears, confirmed after a visit to the doctor some time ago. So perhaps this harshness that I percieve on the rare occasion may be more apparent for me and might not be quite as displeasing to others for this reason. I can also find some examples of music that Iā€™ve had this problem with if you would like. My apologies for not following up earlier as I could not find the time. Hope this helps.

Just a follow up to my post. So, the KZ ZST & the ZSN Pro both arrived this morning. Immediate impressions. I do like the sound from both. The nozzle length on the ZST is problematic, very hard for me to get them fitted into my ears comfortably. Also, the tips they come with are utter trash. So plan on switching them out. The ZSN Pro is a much better fit. Still, also switched out the tips again. Now, I find the sound to be better than the CCA-C10. The CCA are kind of shouty, not horrible but when you consider they cost twice the price of either of these KZ units, itā€™s a no brainer. The only real issue other than the size of the ZST is that neither of the KZ have a right/left marking on them. So you have to wing it. All that said, I think the ZSN Pro is the solid choice here. Beautiful sound quality for the price.

2 Likes

I will give these a try.

Bro all of the dudes above are right and there are definitely plenty of good choices, that will make you a happy listener. BUT, personally, Iā€™ve found the Tin T2ā€™s the most insane steal ever. Although Iā€™m a Fiio fan and I own FH1 and FH5, I bought them because I found them 25E only in Wooeasy store in Aliexpress and I was curious, after the hype. And man, believe it or not, I hate to say that they made me think that maybe it was a mistake to give 250E (+50E taxes in my country) for the FH5. They sound insanely good for 25E, for 50E, for 75E and if I bought them 150E, Iā€™d be very pleased with their performance. As the others say, yes there is a nice soundstage, all the frequencies and the overall tonality is super balanced, bass is there, when existing, nothing boomy, vocals are sooo warm and live and never fatiguing and the highs provide tones of details and never, but never get sibilant. And all that for this cost? Ok , FH5 is a sub bass king, with a pretty nice soundstage too, little nore detail in low and overall frequencies, but sometimes, letā€™s say 5% of playtime they get fatiguing in high volume, with high pitched female voices or when the ring of the snare is hit, common in reggae music. But all this only when very loud. T2ā€™s are literally flawless and their worse sound quality is miles less than their price difference. PEACE !

Just bought a recabled pair of Sony mh755 and holy shit.

Might be the best price to performance ive ever heard, at $8 a pair these things punch way above their weight class.

3 Likes

Yeah I think these things sound better than my Tin T2, Iā€™m so serious right now, Iā€™m loving this shit. They are super clean sounding with good imaging and separation, fairly decent sound stage, and excel in the upper midrange. The bass is pretty decent as well, nothing that will appease bassheads but itā€™s serviceable.

Someone needs to tell zeos about these, seems right up his alley.

2 Likes

Where were these recabled? These look sweet