Budget Subwoofer Decisions - Canada Specific

I’m far from an audiophile, but I’ve fallen into speaker research lately which has lead me to Z Reviews, and then here. Unfortunately, all of the reviews keep leading me to wanting something that is twice the price or unavailable in Canada, so I need some specific advice based on what’s available up here.

I’m looking for a small sub to pair with my brand new Edifier R1700BTs, in a system that will be used for music only. I’m going to be running a pretty unconventional turn table system where it will go turn table -> Standalone Phono Preamp -> Edifier R1700BTs -> Sub Out to Sub (Aux to Split RCA). I’ll be trusting the R1700BTs to do the crossover work.

I had passive speakers and a receiver, but got rid of them due to how I want the equipment laid out in the room. I know it’s not perfect, but it’s the choice I’ve made.

In Zeos video where he recommends how to set up a Subwoofer (using the Edifier T5 which is one that I’m considering), he recommends doing it all differently, but I can’t follow his advice since I won’t have a receiver or any sort of volume control ahead of the speakers in this system.

Anyways, I was completely sold on the Emotiva SE8, but unfortunately with currency exchange and customs etc it’s going to be an almost $500 sub which is too much for me. I emailed them to ask about Canadian distribution or recommendations on how to get it cheaper, and they weren’t helpful at all… So Emotiva is out.

My options now are
Edifier T5 = $180 CAD
Monoprice 8" = $155 CAD
Martin Logan Dynamo 400 = $375 CAD
Polk 8" PSW111 = $350 CAD
Polk 10" PSW10 = $199 CAD
Acoustic Audio PSW10 = $165 CAD

Or should I just comb Craigslist for a cheap $50-100 sub? I’m just hoping to fill in the low end on some rock albums listened to at moderate volumes, so I don’t need anything fancy.

I would love something with the Emotiva footprint (roughly 12"x12"x12"), and the only other sub in my price range that matches that is the PSW111, but it also has some shoddy reviews online…

I basically don’t know enough about subwoofers to decide between the different price points. I know my 12" Monoprice set up with my home theatre in the other room works great for boomy movie stuff, but I’d like something that adds to the R1700BTs musically, and not just shakes the room, but maybe that’s impossible in this price range?

Long term I want Edifier S3000pros and an equal quality Sub, but this is my budget version in the short term.

Any advice? Thanks!

EDIT: After the suggestion below to look for Canadian Made, I’m adding the Fluance DB10 to my list at $270 CAD

1 Like

And I should add the room is 12’ x 20’ with the speakers being against the shorter wall.

I would imagine that speakers made in Canada would be available in Canada.
And, in theory, the should be a better value due to no import tariffs.

Cool, I’ll check this out. Sadly, I think my budget is going to mean Chinese made, but if I can find something Canadian, I’ll check it out for sure. Totem look amazing, but their cheapest sub is double anything else on my list.

1 Like

ELAC 1010 1 used amazon warehouse. Would hold off it retails for $129.00 when in stock.

Thanks, I’ll check that one out too. I’ve emailed them to ask if they know when it will be back in stock.

1 Like

Erin audio corner did a 10’ sub shootout. The elac and polk reached down to 20hrz.
A member is running the ELAC in a desk setup with neumis. Seems happy with the little sub. I say go with dual subs.

1 Like

I would pick up an inexpensive sub that goes low enough for my desires and then try out the Dayton DSP-LF.

In my experience, DSP room correction did more for getting good bass in my listening room than upgrading the subs. I’m using a miniDSP SHD with Dirac Live but it’s still the same principle.

1 Like

I like the idea of DSP correction cheaper than a minidsp! I’ll look into it, thanks.

1 Like

I have one more newb question. Googling is causing me to be more confused…

The Edifier R1700BTs have an Aux out for the Sub which is weird.
Some of the Subs I’m looking at have 2 x RCA in (L/R), others just have 1 x RCA (LFE in).

The only cord I have right now is Aux to 2 x RCA. If I buy a sub that only has 1 x RCA in, can I simply just plug in one of the 2 RCAs, or will I be missing some bass from the other channel? I’ve read that this works, you’re just 6Db quieter (which I could fix using the Subs gain), but it seems wrong? Why would any subs split L/R if it didn’t matter?

Would the recommendation be to buy an Aux to 1 x RCA cord, or is it better to use the Aux to 2 x RCA and then use a splitter to combine it into 1 x RCA?

It seems like subwoofers can bounce back and forth between mono and stereo, which is confusing me?

Thanks for any advice!

Not that anyone cares, but for some closure to this thread (in case it helps any other newbs down the road), I ended up finding a cheap 8" Sub on Craigslist that has completely changed the sound of my simple system! I don’t know if it allowed the Edifiers to be “better” at the mids/highs, if it’s just a fantastic sub, or if it’s a placebo effect, but I highly recommend adding a cheap sub to the R1700BTs

The sub I got is an Energy S8.2. Definitely an older beast, but works great. It has 2 different RCA inputs. One uses the LPF and Volume controls on the sub, one relies on the “receiver” only (or in my case powered speakers). I’ve messed with both, but the one that relies on the Edifier’s crossover and volume seems to be the best.

Thanks for the suggestions above. I’ll upgrade to a shiny new sub when this one dies.

2 Likes