Bulk Buy Advice For Studio Headphones Needed

Hey all, I’m new to this place so I’m unsure if this is a regular topic, but without beating around the bush to much, here’s what I need help with.

I run a recording/mixing studio and need to purchase 4-6 pairs of headphones. Why? Mostly because when I have clients come in for evaluating mixes, they can’t all really hear the same thing due to how they sit around the studio monitors. My solution for this would be to have all of them listen on the same pair of cups. By that logic, I’d need to be fairly flat, not hyped monitoring headphones.

I’ve watched a shit ton of Z’s reviews recently, and my choices come down to ATM-40X, AKG K361 or the Senn HD280 pros. I am however, unsure what would be the best choice, if any of these 3 would even be the best choice. Any and all advice is welcome, even if there’s a better (preferably more affordable) option. I’m prepared to spend up to 100€ per headphone, perhaps a bit more if truly need be. My personal monitoring cups are the 58x Jubilees, but getting 4 additional pairs into Europe at the moment would be incredibly inconvenient and time consuming. Also customs and taxes suck…

Cheers!

1 Like

Hmmm, are you aiming for closed backs? Also what amps would you expect these to be used on?

1 Like

Open or closed, doesn’t really matter. In terms of an amp, I own a Behringer HA8000 V2 that I’m currently lending to a mate. The idea was to take my main out from my Audio Interface, run it into the main input on the HA8000 and then have all the headphones plug into that.

1 Like

Gotcha. What type of material are you working with commonly (as in what type of audio are you monitoring)?

1 Like

I record and mix mostly rock, punk and metal, but the occasional pop/rap artist comes in as well.

1 Like

Hmmm, so personally I would say the k371 or if you had the budget some dt880 250 ohms (not sure if the 8000 could handle the 600 ohms). I think the 371 is generally a better all rounder for a monitor than the 280 pro imo, and I think the technical performance of the 371 is higher than the m40x. I have some 371s for general backup monitors for myself and they preform very well

1 Like

Cheers, I’ll look into some more comparisons of the K361/371 and beyers. Thanks for the advice :smiley:

1 Like

So imo I think the 361 is too mid centric and also isn’t as detailed as the 371, personally the 361 isn’t something I would recommend when the 71 exists

1 Like

Good to know! How would you say the K371s compare to say the k612 pros?

1 Like

The 371 is more of a harman tuning with a slight subbass bump where the 612 pro is more akgs house idea of neutral. Both are pretty nice. I honestly like both, but for monitoring I kinda like the 371 a bit more

1 Like

Thanks for the insight frien. I’ll look into getting some K371s tested!

1 Like