Byerdynamic DT 177X vs 1990?

I know the DT 177X is smooth and less bright than the 1990 but is there an improvement over the 32ohm 177X?

The 1990 is more detailed and neutral responding, and also has better imaging and soundstage imo. I would say if you already have a 177x and want a better sound I don’t know if the 1990 would be worthwhile, but if you are looking between them and don’t need closed back, I personally prefer the 1990

4 Likes

Thanks I just ordered the 1990!

Nice, hope you enjoy it :+1:

1 Like

After much soul searching, I just ordered the DT177X’s. I really needed a closed back for work, as my co-workers were probably tired of listening to my HD6XX’s and K7XX’s with me. I love my TR-X00’s, but their isolation is only so,so and I don’t want to go deaf trying to drown out the sound of my co-worker’s phone call. I would love a pair of DT 1990’s, but I don’t need/can’t afford another pair of open backs right now.

Short story: closed vs. open.

2 Likes

I was going to get 177X because of the closed back too but after a bit of research I think the DT1990 is a good overall headphone so and its only $60 more on so I went for it.

I think the 1990’s are probably a better headphone InfiniteKun, but my office is really quiet and people stare at me when I use open backs. :grin:

Yeah, open backs are not recommended in an office area unless you like making enemies lol (if they leak alot)

Stupid-ass question maybe but, I guess the Focal Elegias beat the 177Xs in every way?

It’s more preference tbh. I would personally prefer the elegia, but the 177x might have a more enjoyable tuning to some people

3 Likes

Elegia probably got way more detail though?

I would say it has more detail lol

1 Like

Thanks again :smiley: