Can I use a single rca/sub rca cable as a coax cable?

I want to connect a usb restoring device to a dac with a coax cable, but all the cables are weird and hard to find in my taste. Can I just use a singular rca cable or subwoofer rca cable?

link to setup: Sound Setup Upgrade - PCPartPicker

Will it work, probably.
Is it ideal no.
Spdif cables are supposed to have 75 Ohm impedance, they are “special”

I’m really not sure why you would want to use a $300 D2D interface on a $300 DAC.
I wouldn’t bother with the power conditioner either at that price point.

2 Likes

What was that I saw about an a90? Notification showed something that isn’t here now?

it is a very very good 300 dollar dac, watch zeos’ review on it, also the speakers are very very good near fields so I want the best for them and my gaming pc will create lots of janky interference, and small town suburb power on an older rental home may be lacking at least a bit, is the power conditioner really unnecessary?

oh yeah I don’t want a toslink style cable, I want rca style coax.

Will this cable work?: Amazon.com: Monoprice Onix Series Digital Coaxial Audio/Video RCA Subwoofer CL2 Rated Cable, RG-6/U 75-ohm 6ft Black: Electronics

I don’t recall it ever being on there, I have no idea lol.

Spend your money where you want.
I’d take the $700 you have allocated to the DAC/D2D converter and power conditioner and buy a better DAC or speakers, you’ll get more value out of that.

Worry about D2D converters and power conditioners when you have an issue, or the USB interface is the bottleneck in the system. If you read around you’ll find people claiming that surge protectors and power conditioners actually hurt component performance so……

SPDIF is RCA/Coax or optical.
If you have an impedance mismatch (don’t use the right cable) what happens is part of the signal is reflected back down the cable, this can increase jitter, but for short runs any cable will work.

1 Like

how would cleaning up the power make it worse?? And i suppose that is true, i have a habit of trying to solve problems before they even become problems, i’ll bail on the DDC for now and figure out the power conditioner confusion. the speakers and dac are already god tier so that is of no concern, other things will be figured out though

The argument against power conditioners, at least most cheap ones, is that they make systems sound smoother, a general loss in dynamics.
But we’re talking about people with an order of magnitude or more in gear than you are spending.

I use surge protectors even given that on the stuff I don’t have plugged into a regenerator, because I really don’t want to lose gear over a mains surge, and it has happened in my house. It’s a compromise I am willing to make.

Lots of things make a difference, many of them are subtle, you have to be rational about where you spend, I know people with more money in power cables than the entire cost of that system, but you don’t put a $500 power cable on a $300 DAC.

Get something listen to it, get used to it, then play with things like D2D converters , power conditioners, cables, and see what difference it makes in your system. But remember you could be using that money to upgrade your core components.

1 Like

Trust me there is a lot of up left above both those components.

1 Like

Would something like a GE power splitter harm sound quality? and is a power conditioner like this any good?(planned for my “endgame”[lol] setup, 10k+):

First this: Amazon.com: iFi Power Station Active Power Conditioner Mains Bar / Power Strip / Surge Protector - Home Audio Entertainment Upgrade: Electronics

If that doesn’t work, this: Power Regenerators – PS Audio

I run a PSAudio regenerator on my primary system, but it’s less than 10% of the cost of the system.
And it was a win for anything in the system drawing power.
Again you have to look at what you are spending where, and understand what you are f]going for with the system.

1 Like

buchardt a700s would blow them away for a future full room gaming/listening setup (at least on paper, TBD), just for anything nearfield within the realm of possibility that fit my budget, space, and aesthetic desires they are absolutely the best, along with the dac.

Here is my full current setup plans:

Sound Setup - PCPartPicker

Sound Setup Upgrade - PCPartPicker

Beginning plans for “endgame(lol)” setup:

Ultimate Sound Setup - Music - Speakers - PCPartPicker

this shouldn’t harm sound quality, especially with such “low grade” equipment right??:

Amazon.com: 4 Way Power Splitter – 1 to 4 Cable Strip with 3 Pronged Outlet and 3" to 12 " Foot Y Style Extension Cord – Black - SJT 16 AWG – by Luxury Office (5 Pack, 1.5’ Extension Cord): Electronics

Or would this be necessary to not bottleneck a 10,000 setup?:

8R15W-I (3dcartstores.com)

This explains a lot:

Better to use a power conditioner or straight into the wall? - YouTube

Also, you may find this interesting:

Audiophile surge protectors - YouTube

Hi Rob,

For good coax cable I suggest check the blue jeans cables, those offers great price performance ratio.

1 Like

will that be better than this cable (on paper)?: Amazon.com: Monoprice Onix Series Digital Coaxial Audio/Video RCA Subwoofer CL2 Rated Cable, RG-6/U 75-ohm 6ft Black: Electronics

Honestly I have not tried onyx, but blue jeans are really good quality cables, I use it with my schiit eitr to ares II dac with no issues at all.

Actually they also offer other cables rca, speakers, etc. So worth check those too.

I use their lc-1 rca cables and in my system gives more air and depth than audioquest golden gate I was using without sounding harsh at all, really smooth.

1 Like

Worlds best cables (brand) is my pick for RCA-style cable

1 Like

Went ahead and added the cable to my plans