Can the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 be used in a near field environment?

Hey everyone,

My Logitech Z623’s are finally starting to fail on me. Originally I was looking into a pair of active speakers, but I have decided to go with a passive system where I can swap various components if need be for upgrades etc.

I’ll be looking at a couple integrated amplifiers in the near future, but for now I am looking at passive speakers to be used in a near field environment (at my desk).

They’ll solely be used for music, but movies and gaming are also on the cards too.

Just after a really decent pair of speakers that offer a good overall low-end experience without the need of a subwoofer. I may add one in the future, but for now it will just be the two speakers.

Seems like the UB52’s are a great choice, but if anyone would be keen to offer their two cents, I’m all ears.

1 Like

Searching for exactly this answer a year behind you… Any luck?

Never used a pair myself, but I’ve never seen a review saying that they need “room to breathe” or anything of the like, and being front-ported also gives you more flexibilty on placement near rear walls, too. Coaxial mid/tweeter design should also make for more even dispersion at most distances. Hopefully someone else can chime in with hands-on experiences for you guys!

1 Like

I’ve used them nearfield and thought they sounded great. Beware that the front port can create some air gusts you can feel close up. I first noticed that on the cannon fire in 1812 Overture and about crapped my pants :laughing:

5 Likes

Explosive, huh?