Can we talk about HiFi [Guides] for a sec?

Just an idea for the website (not the forum). Graphs don’t show much, so…

(Headphones image)
(Buy on amazon link/image)
Graph: Link (rtings, diyaudioheaven, etc.)
Sound demo: Link
Soundstage: X/10
Imaging accuracy: X/10
Detail level: X/10
And what is already planned according to Zeos also, a link to the official forum thread of these headphones.

4 Likes

:point_up: This + short one sentence “note” or summary highlighting the unique nature of each headphone. I miss the ones Z used on Reddit. They don’t have to be that colorful but I think there needs to be something like them.

1 Like

I really like this one. If we had that plus (for example) 50 more products on the guide that would be a huge resource.

absolutely

2 Likes

also i would love if the speakers section would ask things like “intended use” so i can see if these are more TV or PC style speakers or desktop… as well as what your main usage is

it’s been almost 2 months since i originally posted this - rip lol

1 Like

You’re telling me you don’t enjoy voicing suggestions to a wall?

4 Likes

Notifying @ZeosPantera could help, you know. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Oh hey. Thanks for the invite to this party. And now I get to read all the way back to January. Hazaah!

5 Likes

@ZeosPantera Hey Zeos. Just letting you know i’m new here, to this audio world! Hifiguides is awesome! Have fun catching up to all that’s been going on here this year xD

1 Like

hey z…
thoughts?

Short story, forums are not profitable, guides are a lot of work for a little profit, needing constant updates. YouTube videos linking very great fantastic sounding products that slay products costing three and four times their price, teeny bit of profit. Links to sales sites directly from said videos, pretty decent Profit. Patreon, all profit.

The end.

Moral of the story, enjoy the forum for what it is.

3 Likes

I also feel like something like what the Hifiguides thing is doing isn’t particularly useful. It’s the the users who have actually tried gear and know the ways they differ that helps deciding what to buy. “Give me all IEMS under $200 with a neutral signiture” gives you 7 results (there should be more of course), and brings you nowhere closer to finding your IEM. Going off that list you could end up with the Tin T2 or the Tin P1, which aren’t just different in terms of sound but if you’re not doing any further research you could end up buying an IEM that requires a pretty powerful amp without knowing. The Forum, on the other hand, is very nice and helpful mostly due to the amazing people and their collections and willingness to help others out.

1 Like

I mean the forum was running off affiliate link money with cash to spare up until recent, so it was profitable then (now it’s about break even, and ads are coming soon enough so it will return to bring profitable). Also with the forum you have to consider that it might be indirectly profitable

2 Likes

You’re right. I guess it’s better said, indirect (small) profit, but still it’s at the bottom of the revenue stream.

I mean the webpage will stay at the bottom of the revenue stream for sure if it’s as useless as it is now. :confused:

Usefulness = popularity = profit. :man_shrugging:

1 Like