Canuck Audioholics Anonymous CAA Reviews & Fun Banter

Tansio Mirai RGB in the ears tonight what a treat.

9 BA &8 EST per side.

5 Likes

I don’t think that’s enough drivers though…

2 Likes

Ok you guys ready for a discovery?

I have the first CIEM from Hisenior to sport thier new ABV ( Ambient Vent ) System

This is a big deal.

If your familiar with 64 Audio and FiR Audio as well as FATfreq you know about thier vent systems.

It uses swappable modular vents to restrict or allow air pressure and sound leakage out or in depending on the modular used.

Mostly this effects the bass but also of course the mids and highs to a variant degree.

This “Tech” has only been available on IEM’s over $1000 plus.

That’s why it’s a big deal because Hisenior can do this for $350 in a CIEM and the extra modules are $40 vs $100+ from 64

It works , it sounds great and to top it off it you wanted the tuning switches in addition to the vent system your get a whole lot of tunability.

I chose a T4 Model I loved the sound of and made a CIEM with this Tech.
Hisenior nailed it.

More impressions to come.

The ABV system was a small adder $50 I believe for now until they catch on how much time it takes .

You just send you .STL digital files for a CIEM

7 Likes

For the amount of work that implementation takes regardless of sound, that’s alarming value for money. If it sounds good too, what a price bracket shifting launch!

4 Likes

I agree I was waiting to say something until my set arrived and I got a chance to listen to it.

The T4 is spectacular in its balanced tuning. All of us at CAA have one and use this set as our “Reset set” to reset our sensibilities as @kingnubian would say.

Yeah a spectacular value for a great set now made better.

Not sure if they are going to offer this ABV in a universal?

The bass module changes the bass boosted to a few notches North of neutral probably 2-3db and the balanced brings it back to neutral.

The T4 also features switches for additional tuning but I chose not to get it and went with Soundstage+ as standard tuning.

5 Likes

This is very cool. My aversion to CIEM will make me hold for a UIEM implementation, but this is a very notable step in the right direction

5 Likes

We are trying to find out if they are going to offer this in a universal!

1 Like

Great to see more BA iems with pressure relief tech. (even if this is pretty much a copy of the 64 audio one.)

Is this only available with their CIEMs? They really really really should.

2 Likes

Well….looks like I should have held out on getting my T4. O well,very happy with the ones I have🤙

Yeah I think only on CIEM

I guess maybe their tech isnt as good as 64 Audio, as the UIEM version would not seal as good as the CIEM version does and BAs benefit a ton from a good seal.

2 Likes

The UIEM 64 Audio is not a great shell never was for me fitment wise.

2 Likes

I had a feeling this was your set, with Gareth sporting this beautiful shell design for the last few weeks on Facebook.

I wish I had my ear measurements to send his way to get a pair my self once taxes hit because for $350, how the hell can one resist this crazy opportunity?

Last time I checked, my local audiologist charges around $150 for the service, so now I may look into it.

Cool discovery, man. I’m gonna have to hit up Gareth on Facebook to see when this’ll be available to the public.

2 Likes

If you’re feeling froggy, ADV still offers self-impression kits for $80: SPEK System | Self Precision Ear-impression Kit – ADV.
The downside is that you would just have impressions, no idea if you could get an .stl file out of them, too.

3 Likes

Interesting…. I wonder how one gets an .stl file from a home done impression? I’m sure there’s a company that can scan it, maybe even Hisenior can do it in house.

Thanks for the rec, Guy. I’ll see if Gareth has a machine over at HQ for something like that.

1 Like

That’s what I paid from a local Audiologist $150 and included the digital files.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good deal :+1:

:joy:

2 Likes

Review for the Hype 10 from @KrustyolBastid

THIEAUDIO HYPE 10
2 x Dynamic Drivers
10 x Balanced Armature Drivers.

*IMPACT2 (“Impact Squared”) sub bass solution consisting of 2 qty 10mm composite diaphragm dynamic drivers arranged in an in house designed isobaric configuration.
*2 qty Sonion 28UAP bass drivers.
*2 qty Sonion E50DT midrange drivers.
*6? (qty unconfirmed) Knowles SWFK 31736 series ultra-tweeters.
*4 way crossover.
-Sensitivity:
105dB/Vrms@1KHz
-Impedance:
18Ω@1KHz
-Frequency Response:
10Hz-40kHz

Preamble:
HYPE is an acronym for Hybrid Performance.

My interaction with Hype 10, Thieaudio’s latest offering from the Hype series, validates, in my mind, that this IEM is destined to generate HYPE within the hobby.

Hype 10 is also destined to tour with the Canuck Audioholics review group.
It will be interesting to see to what degree of consensus there is, or isn’t, with my enthusiasm for this IEM.
Kyle Parker
Bennet Kelly
Tone Deaf Monk
Kaye Dee

Pros:
:blush: No tuning switches, or nozzles!! :+1:t4:(subjective)
:blush: Great looks (subjective). Shells are vented.
:blush: Good build, fit and finish.
:blush: Excellent fit, anchor, and comfort (for my ears)
:blush: Packaging is pretty standard, comes with a spacious carry case that will fit in a large pocket.
:blush: Nice quality 2 pin silver plated OCC modular cable with 3.5, 2.5 and 4.4mm terminations.
:blush: Responds to/follows source device.
:blush: Compatible with a wide variety of genre. Maybe all? :man_shrugging:t2:
:blush: Sub bass goes low, stays low. Deep, rich and textured, it’s not a one trick pony, it will rumble, boom, or even “whoompf” depending on what’s asked of it.
:blush: Good definition between sub and mid bass.
:blush: Mid bass has fast transients and quick decay, it compliments the deep and textured sub bass very nicely.
:blush: Mids are clear, very detailed, spacious, and immaculately layered.
:blush: Female vocalists like Norah Jones or Adele will present elevated. While male vocalists like Ray Wylie Hubbard, or Trace Adkins will lay lower in the mix.
:blush: Treble region is clean and bright with very good micro detail, sparkle, and air.
:blush: Head stage, while confined mostly within the head space, has incredible spatial accuracy. The layering and imaging is top shelf.

Cons:
:pensive: Ear piece shells are on the larger size and may be a challenge for those with smaller ears.
:pensive: On highly resolving source devices, mids and highs could be perceived as too “clinical” for some.

Sources:
I’ll get Source Devices out of the way first.
I tried Hype 10 with Astell & Kern Kann Max, iBasso DX320, and Shanling M9 Ltd.
I’m jotting thoughts in real time, and at this point I haven’t tried a phone or dongles, I’ll try to provide some quick insight on those after the summary.

The AK is the most resolving of the three, the Shanling the warmest, and I find the iBasso slots somewhere in between.

I can listen to, and enjoy, the Hype 10 on any one of the three, however, I do find the highly resolving AK Kann Max tightens the bass and enhances the clarity and detail in the mids and highs to the point of becoming somewhat clinical, with, perhaps, a touch of BA timbre on some tracks.

The source evaluation is 100% biased toward my hearing, and my hearing preference.
For those who enjoy highly detailed and resolved mids and highs, a more resolving source device may be the preferred choice.

I found, after several lengthy listening sessions, my preference was for the warmer sources, and in the end, chose for my evaluation of Hype 10, the warmest and most balanced of the three, the Shanling M9 Ltd.

Equipment:
-Thieaudio Hype 10 iem, aged 75-80 hrs.
-Shanling M9 Ltd., low gain, 4.4mm out.
-Stock SPC modular cable, with 4.4mm termination.
-Wide bore ear tips, Sedna Xelastec.

Music Library:
Rock, Blues, Jazz, Country, Electronic, Symphonic, Pop, Rap/R&B, Acoustic, etc.
Music Sources:
FLAC and DSD files from SD card, streaming Qobuz.

Sound:
Sub bass, as mentioned above, is textured and agile, at least as agile as sub bass can be.
Listening to Daft Punk - Burnin’/Too Long - Alive 2007, at around the 4:00 minute mark, the sub bass has super low bottom, boomy, and and in the background, then it layers in a thumpy, more present sub bass on top.
Conversely; listening to Frederic Alarie - George - Mega Bass (2xHD), an acoustic double bass solo performance, Sub bass is thick and boomy but tight and in control with excellent resonance that lingers just the right amount before decay. Every note and finger pluck clear and accurate with natural timbre and tonality.

Mid bass is tight and punchy.
Listening to Metallica - Now That We’re Dead - Hardwired To Self Destruct, 2017. In the opening volley the kick drum has thump, toms are full and punchy.
Joe Bonamassa - Livin’ Easy - Blues of Desperation. The bass line lays low and just chugs along low on stage.

Overall the bass generally stays in place and doesn’t overshadow the head stage. On warmer sources it does carry some warmth into mids, and there are exceptions where bass will fill the head space.
Billie Eilish - Bad Guy the bass carries through the head space. On many IEM I find the bass on this song loose and one dimensional, but on Hype 10 it’s thick, textured and controlled.

The term “bass-head” conjures up thoughts of excessive, over bearing bass presence to me. In reality though, it refers to anyone who loves good bass, and in that context, Hype 10 should satisfy the majority of bass heads.

Mids are clean, clear, bright, and detailed.
The stage is more intimate than expansive, but Hype 10 manages to retain a good spatial atmosphere in the mid range which keeps them from becoming congested, even on busy tracks.
Poncho Sanchez - Poncho Sanchez Medley #2 - Trane’s Delight. The mids can become crowded with trumpets, guitars, vocals, percussion, and piano, in addition to bass and high end being present.
Each instrument and vocalist is still able to maintain individuality, presence, tonality, and dynamics.

Vocals are articulate, with natural tonality on both male and female vocals.
Vocals follow the recorded source. They can, at times, be elevated and more forward, and at other times, lower in the mix, or less forward.
(Note: on highly resolving source devices I found vocals thinned a bit)
Eden Atwood - He’s A Carioca - Waves: The Bossa Nova Sessions.
Eden’s smoky alto voice is smooth and intoxicating. I’m very familiar with this track and the vocals are spot on for tonality and timbre.

Highs are crisp and articulate with very fast transients and lots of micro detail.
Listening to Robert Glasper Trio - No Worries - Double Booked, this is a fast paced track, and around the 4:30 minute mark it really picks up the pace and gets “busy” on piano and drums. Individual high notes on the piano are coming fast and hard, but remain clear and precise, with no hint of congestion.
Drum strikes are quick and tight, and you hear every stick strike on drums and cymbals. Cymbals are crisp and airy with authentic shimmer/sizzle, nothing missing, nothing over done.

The head stage is where Hype 10 slips a wee bit.
Width is good, slightly outside the ears.
Height is also good, airy up to the top of my skull, sub bass is excellent, but could pull the bottom depth a bit lower.
Front to rear depth is average or a bit better.
Back to Eden Atwood - He’s A Carioca. On IEMs with excellent depth perception I hear drums distinctly in the back, bass and guitars as well as piano mid stage, and Eden’s vocals front and center. On Hype 10 the depth perception is there, but shallower.
The saving grace is the separation and individuality of instruments. On a fairly intimate stage, the imaging and layering is precise and accurate, maintaining an air of open space between performers.

Summary:
Straight up; I like the Hype 10, a lot.
I hear with my ears, not my eyes, but when I saw the frequency graph for Hype 10 I was fairly confident the sound signature was going to work for me.
I’m sensitive to aggressive Pinna gain and peaks in the 2.5-3.5k range.
And I’m hearing pretty much what the graph indicates, a fairly smooth transition into the upper mids and a stable glide into the highs.

Quality, textured bass in ample quantity. Clear, detailed, and articulate, mids and highs.
Natural and accurate vocals.
Excellent imaging and layering.
Ticks all my boxes.

Those who look for an enhanced, or, emphasized bass presence may not be fully satisfied.
Those who prefer “highly clinical” reference detail in the treble; Hype 10 could well get you there on a highly resolved source device.

The sound impressions above are derived from critical listening sessions.
More importantly is that the Hype 10 captivates and draws me into the listening experience, and I don’t want to leave……

This is my first exposure to Thieaudio, and I’m happy I chose to take the journey.

At $899 usd retail we’re not talking chump change.
I feel the Hype 10 is capable of going toe to toe with competitors in its price class, and remain standing.

Enjoy your music. :+1:t4::+1:t4:

** Additional Source Devices:

:point_right:t3: iPhone 13, Lightning to 3.5 adapter, Qobuz.
Drives easily straight off phone, 60-75% volume.
Bass is loose and boomy.
Mids and Highs sound good, but lacks the detail and clarity delivered on a better source.
Some Android phones may fair better.:man_shrugging:t2:

:point_right:t3: iPhone 13, ddHiFi TC44Pro Lightning. Qobuz
Good listening levels below 50% volume setting.
Bass tightens up, more textured and less boomy.
Mids and Highs are more detailed and resolved.
Head stage starting to open up.

:point_right:t3: iPhone 13, IFi Hip DAC 3, 4.4 out.
Qobuz.
Strong listening volumes well below 50% on the volume knob.
** Independent volume control on Hip DAC, always a plus when using iPhone.
Bass is textured, deep and rich, good definition between sub and mid bass.
Mids and highs are clear and detailed.
Head-stage is fuller.
Overall a warm presentation.
** Note: last minute I tried power match on Hip DAC 3. Huge improvement in clarity and separation. Really improved spaciousness in the head stage. :+1:t4::+1:t4:

Conclusion.
Hype 10 drives reasonably easily and can be used straight off of a phone.
But, my impression is; Hype 10 benefits from a powerful source device capable of pushing all 12 drivers to full capacity.

7 Likes

Always enjoy reading your reviews :star2:

After my GAS3 arrives I’ll be staying on the sidelines until 11/11 or so, but the Hype series seem very solid, and I have a feeling they’ll still be on my “for your consideration” list when that time rolls around :thinking:

Unless Thie replaces them with some new, cheaper hawtness, lol…

3 Likes