Cayin C9 - New Portable Headphone Amplifier

1 Like

How are they always so fast with new products?

Don’t know but I would love to try one with a Chord Qutest :+1:

Just assuming no onehas had hands on with one yet? I would love to know just how resolving this amp is. Seems like a fairly awkward amount of power (4200mw @ 16 ohm and 2600mw @ 32 ohm) with not enough to be really up there with the diablo/micro BL (1500mw continuous @ 64 ohm) or BX-2Plus (5900mw @ 32 ohm peak) but they also admit in their thread it doesn’t exactlly like high ohm loads for stuff like HD800S. Im actually pretty currious what cans they were targeting with the design. When asked the rep on headfi pleads the 5th

Saving for one mate (maybe towards the end of the year?) lol…Power for me isn’t an issue as I’d be using it to drive my IEM’s :+1:

1 Like

Figured I should cross post some thoughts about the c9 from the p6 thread, also comes with some rambling, unnecessary text, and comparisons in a lazy format for other competing options imo

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

So anyone else get their hands on this amp? I hopefully have one coming depending on availability and just seeing if there are anymore opinions about it.

It’s great for a portable when I had tried one for a bit, didn’t end up grabbing it since I felt I had other portable amps that drove what I wanted to drive portable better (if I didn’t have some of those other portables on hand, I’d be a lot more impressed), but as a whole package it’s a pretty damn compelling portable amp and paired with a quality dap, it was pretty sweet. Headphone wise it handled quite a range pretty well, with iems it was more hit or miss

Personally thought solid state mode was more impressive most of the time (mainly because I thought the drop in technical ability was irritating), a to ab was dependant on pairing but I could go either there, although generally preferred class a if I didn’t need the extra power and bite

Thanks Mon! I’m doing more traveling and missed having a tube amp so hoping this scratches that itch. Also going to pair down my desk setup to one amp and DAC which will most like be my burson and one of my probable DAC/amps. Hopefully this can fill that multiple amp roll as well.

It will work pretty well for that :+1:, what dap would you be pairing it with?

For now I’ll be running it from the output on my micro signature or my gryphon. I have been eyeing a hiby RS6 though so that might be in the cards if hiby does thier holiday sale.

Nice nice, the rs6 has a great dac in it, so that would be a great pairing for the price imo, as long as you didn’t mind something a bit sweeter, smoother, and softer leaning, but I never got to try that exact pairup so I can’t say for sure.

I either used it with a P6 Pro to really lean into it’s spatial recreation, texture, microdynamics, nuance and sweetness, or a LPGT Ti to focus on it’s clarity and bite, tightness, macrodynamics, and more forward focus, and while I would say the P6P ended up having the technical edge, the more clean and direct approach of the Ti sometimes meshed better with specific headphones that already had a warmer lean

I do enjoy that sound signature for sure. I would love to get the p6 or LP but man I’d love to be able to try them before buying.
The thing that would make me jump on it is I heard the LP(I think) is on par with a Holo spring but you can pick it up off the desk lol.

I don’t really know a way to do that without buying, I guess you could grab them from a dealer with a return policy, but then you’re buying new when at this point they have dropped to around little more than half msrp ish used

I would agree lol

Yeah half price is more reasonable for me. Guess I’ll comb classifieds lol.
Right now I’m looking at these setups to play with my Atriums, Liric’s, Aeolus, LCDX and th900s in a kind of transportable setup. Fingers crossed it’s a good match.

The only one I have tried on the C9 out of that bunch was a th900 (haven’t tried an atrium or liric at all lol), but I thought it was good for adding a bit more richness and organicness to the headphone, if you like that out of the signature, you’d likely find the c9 to be pretty enjoyable too. I can’t say too much since mine were lawton modded with a heavy v tune, which isn’t going to be reflective of a regular th900

I do enjoy them out of the signature but man once in awhile there is a zing in the upper mids that I’d like to squash.
Liric’s are nice for what they are but the Atrium is ridiculous. They are so natural sounding to me that I have zero wants to try anything higher end than those.

I actually do think you might find that zing to disappear with something like the cayin, the ifi can get a bit hot in that range and not play nicely with the th900 in that regard

:+1: