Challenge! Can anything beat Vanatoo?

New listening space entirely would be nice lol, but I was more suggesting the larger desk or stand approach since typically that’s a more reasonable option lol. I’ve hit that barrier myself where if I really wanted a better experience and to upgrade from what I have now, my only option would be to either move or build a separate room/shed/house/whatever you’d call it for a dedicated listening room, neither of which are really feasible right now lol

Going hard into speakers really only makes sense if you have the space and can actually live with them

2 Likes

i got a bit around it with an L shaped desk that is orientated with one side into the room so my speakers have some space around them, so i can appreciate the thought :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I do like the suggestions! Although most of the more expensive ones are outside the the 10" in any dimension rule. =) - i’ll have to add a size caveat to the larger options when compiling the list. But they do help to give more choices.

1 Like

My plastic ruler bends from 11" 7/32 to 10" when it’s bend slightly. :rofl:
It’s in the margin for a three-way.

Ok ok so solid 10" so 8320 for the win then. :heart_eyes:

But if can bend little, so would the 8330 with in 11" 7/32 measurements. :joy:
Everybody breaks rules!!! lol

3 Likes

For the tender viewers who are perusing this thread and have gotten this far - we are going into (what most normal people would consider) ‘speaker pricing insanity’ for speakers this small.

• The Genelec 8320A for example is around 725 to 900 dollars depending on where you buy. And if you want to actually take advantage of the room correction that’s another 200 dollars for something called a ‘GLM Kit’ which is required to do the room correction.

• The ‘Voxativ Hagen monitors’ only can be purchased in a pair and come with an amp it’s called the ‘Absolut Hagen System’ which costs 9,900 dollars. (this is getting into things like “…handmade paper cone driver’s light yet rigid cone is made from Japanese calligraphy paper…”)

This thread has the training wheels off entirely on purpose - the end goal being to create a list of as many speakers in this size class that are at least on par with the Vanatoo T-Zero and above in quality sound creation. I’ll be collating a list with links and creating another big thread containing them all specifically for this size-range of speaker. (with the prices as of the threads creation). - and a short blurb about each speaker. This will happen in a few weeks after this thread has run it’s course and a large enough group has had a chance to put in their suggestions.

(Why did I not put this at the start? Because people love a competition! and I knew that format would attract more responses, which leads to a better end result. That’s using the old noodle!)

• and, initially I was only doing this for my own personal information, but then I thought it would be much better if the information collected was aggregated into a useable form for the entire community.

Ahh, I almost forgot, the Micca RB42. Would require a capable amp though. I wonder if sound quality would be as good or better? hmmm…

I had both the RB42 and the T0 at the same time; The T0 is a much better speaker IMO, but they’re different speakers with different uses. The T0 is well-balanced where the RB42 is kind of a bright V-Shape. If there’s no question of price or setup disparity, I would say T0 every time.

2 Likes

I love my office sound system which consists of Desktop to SMSL SU-8 (DAC) to Liquid Spark (amp) to Transparent Zeroes.
To be honest, the amp and DAC were cast-offs from the Headphone centre. :grin:

6 Likes