Cheap bookshelf speaker with high sensitivity

Out of curiosity i wouldn’t mind if there where more reasonable priced pasive bookshelf speakers with high sensitivity.

The think is theres only a few loud speakers like Klipsch.

Currently i have a Denon rcd-dm41 (dab) and 8 ohm 88db speakers, 2x30watt in 6 ohm at 1khz, it’s surprisingly loud and it for shure sounds good, not bright and good deep punchy bass with dynamic.

Let’s say 91db+ speaker with good dynamics,deep punchy bass and not a bright agressive top in a bookshelf speaker for not alot of money, 300-350 euros or under $400.

Bassicaly the same speaker as i have just with more than 91db sensitivity

Does such a speaker exist?

Agree that there are only few new high sensitivity speakers out there, which is a pity especially for those who use low power Tube amps.

If you can’t find a good pair of used Klipsch or JBLs, try getting Fluance SX6 (92 db). The sound just great, sensitive and inexpensive.

2 Likes

Dali Zensor 3 - i have them and they are easy to run. sound is great for around ~400 a pair depending on the shop, sensitivity is 86,5dB

I have the Dali Zensor 1, and its a great little speaker and i guess its bigger brother (Zensor 3) just sounds even better and bigger. The Zensor 1 lacks the deep bass, but it is a very enjoyable speaker for its price.

I also have a pair of Klipsch RB-81 mkII and they go deeper and for its size (8" woofer) it is very easy to drive. Even on my “smalest” amp it gets really loud. As for overall sound quality, the Klipsch are better (they should be as they are twice the price when i bought them), but they are more picky about placement as if you sit too close/wrong angle they get a bit harsh in the treble .

My third set of bookshelfs are a pair of B&W 685s2. They are not as easy to drive as the Klipsch, but they are the best of the 3 imho. Good over all performance, even though they lack a bit of bass (i like my bass). Also, placement is not as critical as the Klipsch, but perhaps a bit more picky than the Dali Zensor 1’s i have. They are also the most expensive of the pairs, although i got it on sale for less than i paid for the Klipsch’es. I think the 685s2 are discontinued, but i do see them around still - and B&W have a follow up model, although at a higher price than the 685s2 had when they were still being made.

My account has been temporarily placed on hold as a precautionary measure on hifiguides.com, i don’t know why, i have just sent a mail to [email protected] gasolin75

Now to reply to my own thread.

The dali zensor i think for what the topic say is not at all loud enough, around 86 db is not high.

I don’t like the dali zensor (once had the zensor 1’s for a year) the highs get agressive at high levels, it’s not a i don’t need alot of power to play loud, speaker.

Dali zensors are discontinued so it’s only a used pair if i wanted a pair.

I don’t play crazy loud although i like AC/DC (led zeppelin,pink floyd,deep purple), you just can’t play AC/DC at any other volume than loud.

Yes you can easily get pa speakers that are loud, they just don’t sound as good as hifi speakers and don’t have to much deep bass, most 6-6.5" speaker goes if your lucky down to 60hz, my current speaker goes lower than 50 hz.

The only low priced high sensitive passive bookshelf hifi speaker i know of is Klipsch, like a model like the R-51M or RP-400M but they are 50% more expensive than the R-51.

MAYBE you can get a deal on the Klipch RP600M

No they are out of my price range

What i didn’t mention is im gonna use them for my pc

They also don’t have to much bass
klipsch

These have more bass but are not loud speakers (but relative cheap in one place in denmark where i live)
Dynaudio Excite 14

Look at the Fluance website, basically. Especially the Fluance Signature range (Fluance SX6 may have too much highs for you and not enough low end, but the signature series are front-ported and more neutral).

Also, used Wharfedales? They’re made in Europe.

Have you seen there specs 85db sensitivity

edit: 96db sensitivity

1 Like

90db sensitivity

119$, sold individually…
for 240$, might as well get used Klipschs for this price.

I don’t know about the Klipschs sensitivity though.

i agree, he was just looking for alternatives to klipsch. but i think without spending a lot more, horn’s the only bookshelves with that kind of sensitivity.

1 Like

I never heard horns too. :thinking:

You should try a pair someday. The present treble differently then dome tweeters