Cheap tube preamp/headphone amps in Canada?

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or advice regarding the following (in Canadian dollars, as the cost of things here is weird and likely changes recommendations)

(1) SUCA AUDIO Bluetooth 5.0 Preamplifier with 6K4 Vacuum Tubes ($85 CD) (includes remote)
(2) Dilvpoetry Tube-T6 Bluetooth 5.0 Vacuum Tube Preamplifier ($132.99CD)
(3) Douk P1 ($133.23CD)
(4) FXaudio bluetooth/dac/preamp ($103.87CD) (no tone controls)
(5) Aiyima Tube T2 ($122.42CD) (No headphone jack)

(As I could also run something into the EII and then power the headphones/speakers through that, perhaps someone has an even better idea of price/value option?)

Background:
With quarantine and not wanting to bother my SO, I have picked up an Element II in order to run AKG K701, T2, Grado 80 and soon Hifiman 400se. I also have some powered speakers, and was thinking it would be fun to try out that ‘tube sound’ I hear so much about. Most of the above would allow me to run headphones try them out with my powered speakers as well, and since my current amp does not have a bluetooth receiver and these brands do carry that, I thought it might be useful. That said, if the sound or quality would be so bad that it was a waste of money, I would be willing to consider something like:

SMSL SP 100 ($99.99CD) even if it does not come with outs to run my speakers)
or
xDuoo MT 602 ($144.99CD) even if it lacks Bluetooth and tone controls.

I know Z reviewed both of the two above positively, but he has got slumming with the previous four yet. It would also help to know if/what extra tubes I would want/need to run any of the first four.
Thanks Everyone!
Pugsly

if you are looking for an warm sound at budget pricing, look for a used iFi Zen DAC. they just released a v2 that has a better USB processor on it and comes with the ability to decode MQA. it uses the Burr Brown DAC ships and they are very warm / fun. I know this as it’s my daily driver for my headphones. :slight_smile:

You might want to keep an eye out on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart). Also on Kijiji locally.
Your used dollars will go a lot further on those.

1 Like

So, is this your subtle way of telling me that none of the options mentioned are worth it?

I just don’t have a lot experience in that price range. I did buy a Loxjie P20 for about $99.00, but was pretty disappointed.

My tastes have run upward since then, however I just recently bought a used Little Dot MK III (OTL) tube amp on CAM for $300.00. It came with a few extra sets of tubes and is lots of fun.

I mention this because you might be able to pick up a nicer used unit close to your price range.

Fair. I guess I was thinking that I’d like to dip my toes into tubes, and was not sure how much I would have to spend to see if it was my deal. I am generally skeptical of so much hi-end audio (such as cables, CD players, dacs, etc.) Maybe some people can hear a difference, but I never have - and if I can’t, well, all the better for my wallet. I do know that I have had LPs that sound far better than CD on some recordings (e.g. Mingus ‘Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting’.) I know that open-back headphones, Magnepans, and my Pluto speakers give me an experience that I love for its open airiness, sound stage, and natural feeling. However, I also know that more analytical and revealing speakers and headphones can make some sources particularly jagged and harsh to my ears (I am thinking e,g. of 50s-60s jazz recordings, or the static in the background of Charlie Patton recordings that is like nails on a chalkboard, especially when I listen to it on something like AKG K701.) From my understanding, there is a clear audio difference with many tube amplifiers, such that while they do add measurable distortion that is easily audible even to someone like myself, and that it is (at least in some instances) the kind of distortion that some people find pleasing and is even perceived as more natural/life-like, adds to the sound stage, and hides some of the ‘sins’ of the original recordings. That said, I auditioned some tubes at an audio boutique store back in the day that I could not distinguish from a solid state, which thus made me a little shy to spend money on something that might actually be technically ‘better’, but to me functionally indistinguishable from what I already have.