Cheapest Open Back Planars?

Those are some pretty terrible failures.

well…the 400s and 400i sold for much higher prices than the 4xx, so if these new 2020 versions are selling at the same price but have a better headband, does that mean they were gouging us or have hey just decided to use the Drop tuned platform and try to cash in on selling a cheap planar?

Probobly a bit of both. If I remember correctly the 400 and 400i released a few years ago so at the time their prices where more reasonable but still too much for the build issues.

I always found it weird how a headphone could sound good and have a well engineered driver but then fail on what seems to me to be relatively simple - headband, yokes or overall comfort. Designing a headband doesn’t seem like rocket science… but then again, you don’t see me building a headphone

I think its a harder balance than it seems. If you build everything out of steel (ala Audeze) you alienate a large market of consumers who just wont deal with the weight. The materials typically used are cheap to keep manufacturing costs down. Engineering something that can withstand daily use is not a simple task.

Isn’t it obvious, he’s jerry rigging some sort of surround sound 5.1 headphone.

:wink:

1 Like

Jerry rigging yes lol. But what? Maybe something. Maybe nothing :man_shrugging: It’s an idea that may succeed or fail.

1 Like

The planar scene is more competitive these days so they are probably pricing better now as well as the he 4xx only being readily available without all the bullshit importing brings with it to US consumers. They also have more planar in their product line like the deva which happily sits between the 400i and the sundara

170$? Damn, I paid l ike 400-something euros for 400i-s some years ago :smiley:

So, any updates on your experiment?

I’m knee deep in magnetic field finite element analysis.

1 Like