Choosing my last set of Headphones, struggling

amazing. thanks a lot!

1 Like

after reading your impresions im liking what you’re saying! just because i think thats what im looking for as a sidegrade to the Aeolus’s when i decide to start selling off my midfi stuff, something more crisp with more “digestible” details and clarity, something that is either slightly bright or neutral. hope that made sense. got any suggestions?

1 Like

I’m surprised you think the HD800 S is a good fit, considering how the HD58X sounds. To me, the HD800 S is cold and bright when compared the 58X. But then again, if sound stage, clarity, and imaging are more important, he should get that.

1 Like

To clarify, I was thinking he would keep the 58X for laidback enjoyment, the HD800 for soundstage imaging etc.

But once again this is just my opinion, they need to listen to these things and determine if it is worth it to them.

The Clears would be another option, I think between them and the LCD-X is more or less a toss up.

Yeah, the Clears, HD800(sdr mod), Aeolus, TH-X00 Purple Hearts, Campfire Cascades, are my current primary headphones.

They all have there place, but the Aeolus is my favorite all around headphone right now.

The Ananda sounds like it fits what you are looking for. However, there is a big BUT…

Hifiman QC is an absolute joke. Like the worst in the industry. It’s a damn shame because they have some of the best tuned headphones out there.

Diana Phi might be the best headphones I’ve tried that remain practical. If you have enough budget and can get over the looks those things are amazing.

1 Like

I am going to keep my 58X no matter what, for the price these things are crazy. But, for gaming, and normal chill music, I think the HD 800 S is my best option, I mean, I really don’t want to go with HiFiMan for QC issues, and who knows when it will break on you.

2 Likes

I love my LCD-X, and they’re easily driven.

That is another benefit of the Senns they last forever! And are easy to repair, not that you would need to lol. Mostly just replacing pads, and with Dekoni, Yaxi pads, and stock pads readily available that is an easy ask.

What pads are the best for the HD 800 S? I hear the default ones are kinda thin, and was wondering are there any comfier ones, that don’t change the sound signature to crap, and keep the soundstage.

1 Like

It is subjective, but I have the Dekoni Elite hybrids on mine…and didn’t find the difference too noticeable, at least not enough to switch back.

Gotcha, and now I am leaning toward the Aeolus, since literally everyone and their mom seems to love these, was wondering what is soo good about them, and are they good for gaming with a soundstage?

I’m pretty sure the Aeolus has a smaller soundstage than most open-back headphones.

I will have to try some games with them…mostly never move away from listening to music…even when I intend to game! Hype training a bit but I really like these headphones!

Really? I mean, as long as they are better soundstage than my 58X then im good

1 Like

It should have more than the 58x, as they have a very narrow stage like most Senns. However, Aeolus is more of a semi-open headphone than true open one. I haven’t listened to Aeolus, so I can’t give exact size of the soundstage, but the consensus seems to be that it’s more intimate than a lot of open phones but better than closed ones. I think the detail and imaging is still really good, though.

Ill throw 6xx/650 in the mix. I preferred 6xx over the 58x in just overall listening. theres some trade offs for both but overall 6xx won it for me. Did not like the 660 as much especially at its price point. Think they were 500-600 when i tried them. def not worth more than $300 imo

Im with the mindset that if you’re happy with your sound then you don’t need to worry about marginal improvements with huge price spikes.
My endgame is my hd650 and liquid spark and until one of those break I won’t even think about “upgrading”

2 Likes

They are way better than the 58x for soundstage;) I just sold off my 58X it was fun and rather enjoyable, I just have other headphones that were more fun and enjoyable…I’m very intrigued/interested in your opinion of your new shiny when it arrives :slight_smile: I have a feeling you will become a ZMF convert!

Also I recommend the suede universe pads and the BE2 “secret” pads…you have to email request to get them =)

The wait is long and painful but in the end is worth it! I’m refreshing the Verite google sheet daily for updates on its progress…I’m at the assembly stage, next up QnA and shipping…I can only get so ha…er…never mind lol