🔷 Chord Qutest

This is the official thread for the CHORD QUTEST DAC

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• FPGA architecture
  • PCM up to 32-768, DSD up to 8x
  • USB, Toslink, 2 coax (BNC plugs) inputs
  • 1945 USD

:red_circle: Hifiguides Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ll give @MrAyrit a plug too:

1 Like

Thanks. I haven’t watched yours yet. Are we in the same ballpark? Also, never got around to commenting on it, but I really enjoyed your introduction to the cable series. I am a fellow science educator and thought your explanation of what science is was very elegant. I look forward to the next episode!

1 Like

Thank you!

I didn’t compare the Qutest to the BF2. I compared it more to Hugo 2. IMO the two Chords are a noticeable technical step up from the BF2/Ares 2 tier that will justify the cost for some. They also have a tonal quality to them that I think makes them a bit more amp-pairing sensitive than BF2.

After watching your reviews, and a few other reviews, and having it for about 18 months or so, I can say that while everyone manage describe the sound pretty close to what it is, everyone misses 1 very important aspect. It is a 1500€ dac that comes with 2€ power supply, and is mostly used with 50€ power supply, while it is known to respond to different PSU. People needs to be very aware that there is more texture, more depth in sound stage and more detail to be unlocked with upgraded power supply. I was on the point on giving up to the hobby because of how boring this 1500€ dac sounded, when I found a 4-5 year old video and he was using this DAC out a 20€ phone power bank. I did try it and sound became more alive, a week later ordered a 850€ linear power supply and it is just another DAC. With a Violectric v550 pro it can definitely be a true end game, while there is still even more potential to be unlocked with even better and obviously expensive, PSU.
I think Chord should stop putting any psu in the box because it make people think that is the sound when they are not even close to hear what this unit can do.

Ps. Don’t go drop 1000€ on a linear PSU just because a guy on a forum said so. Test it with a phone power bank and see if you can spot an improvement. If not maybe you need to upgrade the chain before getting an expensive PSU.

3 Likes

It’s irritating that the designer is so insistent on using smps, but what really seem to be mediocre to not great smps at that. Same problem with the dave, modding the dave with a really nice psu (esp something like a sean jacobs) really makes it sound like a different dac entirely lol. But likely why you see other mfg put such a strong focus on psu in the high end, it really pays off for them in most cases, and whenever I see a higher end product with a seemingly meh or unimpressive psu I am immediately skeptical lol

2 Likes