Class D Amp with tube pre-amp or Integrated tube amp?

I’m looking to build a budget system in my living/dining room with a spare set of Jamo c607 Speakers. I’ve been told that they require a lot of current for 89db sensitivity.

I’m contemplating getting a class D amp, Xtz edge 300 and a Schiit saga+ to warm it up, or get a Willsenton R8 integrated tube amp from China hifi. The dac will likely be a dragonfly red and occasionally switched to a denafrips ares 2 if I get bored of it with my headphones.

I’ve never heard a good tube amp, and I’ve tried to find a place to audition, but because of COVID it’s become impossible. What does a tube even sound like haha. Anyways, which system would you choose, and why? Is there a Better sounding system I can put together for the same amount of money?

I’ve seen a lot of chatter about the Willsenton R8 being pretty great performance to price. I don’t really know a lot about either potential setup or your speakers, but from the little I did read about the Willsenton it may serve you better if you plan to upgrade down the line. That being said, I also don’t know the brand at all so it may not have reliable support if you have any issues. You’d probably need to replace the stock tubes, so that’s an extra cost, but those tubes in particular aren’t very expensive.

1 Like