Classical shopping list

Looks like I may be on the cusp of a new job. This role would see me in a small office doing a lot of statical analysis. When I’m getting stuck into work like that, I like to block the world out and listen to music to help me focus.

Unfortunately, when I really need to concentrate, I find listening to things like Tool, Oceansize, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. to be a little bit too interesting! As I’m a drummer, I’ll start tapping my feet and my mind wonders. I need classical! I only have a few albums I can rely on for such things, a CD of Debussy’s piano sonatas is my main go to. However, if I’m going to be doing this every day with this new role, I’ll likely get tired of the few classical albums I have pretty quick.

So, CDs, please help me build a shopping list. I have a broad taste in classical music, I particularly like piano sonatas and do not care for opera. I guess OST would also pass muster here. Help a brother out!

1 Like

Since you prefer piano sonatas, you can check out the more classic ones: Beethoven, Mozart and one of my favorites, Schubert. You can easily find recordings by Deutsche Grammophon and Decca .

You should try listening to Symphonies too. :wink:

2 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like I’ve got the job so I’ll certainly be investing in a healthy collection.

2 Likes

I used to know of an amazing classical music streaming app but it recently got bought out by apple. Now Apple is creating their own didactic app.

I have considered choosing an app but I’m not one for streaming. I like owning CDs and having local FLAC libraries on-hand. No reliance on an internet connection.

3 Likes

Yeah, I loved Primephonic. Their search was amazing, and sounded better than my current Amazon HD. Still waiting for Apple to do something, but so far it seems buried.

2 Likes

Yeah I can totally understand the reasoning for having offline FLAC libraries, my problem is that I can never seem to find any FLAC recordings of the music online. And as regards to CDs after living with my dad who collected all his music in CDs I don’t think I want to amass a large collection like he collected.

To keep in mind, his collection spans up to 500 different CDs

1 Like

totally, but just curious how is amazon HD music when it comes to classical music?

@Renown The quality is almost as good as PP and their library is very large, only found
a few favorites that are missing. Search function is not nearly as good as PP or Spotify…
You have to be very specific and sometimes search not for conductor but composer then hunt down the album list for your favorite recording. But in general I find it very acceptable. Hope that helps.

1 Like

I collect CDs. I don’t have as many as your father but however many I do have, it has been painful re-ripping them onto my PC. Before I got decent hifi gear, I just let iTunes do all the work… I’m about two thirds the way through my CDs and acknowledge that this is one of the many downsides to sourcing music in such a fashion but I’m very much stuck in my ways!

2 Likes

I second Schubert. I love his impromptus.
Also there is an album called Bach on Steinway which is great.
For piano Liszt should be on your list. Mozart Fantasia (Hélène Grimaud).
Would you also be open to organ music? I have recs for you…

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations. I would never normally go for organ music, but I’ll certainly give it ago if you have something you think may change my mind.

Maybe try the violin concertos by Bach.
If you want to check the works out before you buy it, the Dutch Bach society has amassed a great collection of freely available recordings of their performances: All of Bach – Bach

2 Likes

Thank you for this. I have found the site and will most likely dip my toe in the pool this evening!

1 Like

This is my favourite classical recording.

That said, I’m not a classical aficionado.

For non-distracting work stuff, I would look into ambient (electronic) stuff, some non vocal soundtrack stuff can be great (eg Zimmer), even the ubiquitous lo-fi study beat stuff (although it can get old fast). Oh and don’t forget the minimalist guys like Steve Reich etc.

1 Like

I am the same. Until I get my desk rig finalised, and have a good chunk of classic stuff to listen to, I’ve been using Sound Cloud to listen to Zeos’s favourite, ‘New Retro Wave’. Found some really good stuff: Stream Cool Breeze by Lazerhawk | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

I recommend you check out Hilary Hahn. She is an amazing soloist and plays Bach beautifully

2 Likes

The most accessible organ music is Pachelbel. He was an organ teacher and therefore his style is simpler than other composers and therefore more palatable for new listeners.
Joseph Payne has recorded all of the Pachelbel organ works.

My favorite artist for organ music is Buxtehude. Ton Koopman and Simone Stella have great recordings.

The other composers with a lot of organ works are Bach and Handel.

1 Like

Not to hijack the topic, but I’ve been listening to her Bach violin concertos: ‎J.S. Bach: Violin Concertos by Hilary Hahn, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra & Jeffrey Kahane on Apple Music

And it is a really great recording! Will definitely be checking her rendition of Beethoven as well.
But for now, celebrating Bach’s birthday and continuing bumping baroque :sunglasses:

2 Likes