Closed Back shopping advice, $200 budget

Hi all,

I’ve been pretty happy with my SHP9600s. (I tried 9500s with modhouse adaptors and Brainwave pads. I still prefer the 9600s.) However, there will be construction in my home and I work from there. So I’m looking for closed-backs, ideally under 150 but 200 is for sure the roof. I know that the DT770 for example is closer to $200. I’m also open to other options in this price bracket except the AT40 & 50xs. Just didn’t like the sound. Pad swapping is fine if it’s somewhat easy.

Current Shortlist:
AKG 361
AKG 553Mk2 (AKG has them for 190 right now, the price seems to fluctuate)
DT770 pro
Sivga Robin
Sivga Oriole

I do have to ask: Would my Schiit Magni be able to drive the 250 version well enough or would I be better off with the 80 version?

Music: My music library is pretty varied. Mainly leaning towards Rock & Metal at the moment but some Hip-Hop or some flavor of Electronic isn’t outside of the realm of possibility depending on mood.

Where to buy: Ideally, I can get these on Amazon because of shipping speed and return policy but I have a few pairs of IEMs I can use should I need to order from China to get a good deal.

Thanks in advance for any & all help!

Meze 99 Neo or Noir if you like bass.

Off your list the sivga robins are what I’d go with. The bass are about the most comfortable in the world and it has a nice v sound signature.

The K361’s are a very nice, neutral-sounding set. The stock pads are too squishy-soft and shallow in my opinion. Dekoni makes nice leather and sheepskin pads for them. If your ears are really big, then the Yaxi stpad2 is the way to go.

What @InvisibleInk said, out of your choices I’d go with the K361’s for a “safe bet”. I guess, along the lines of what @pk500 mentioned in his reply, what sound signature are you going for? Neutral? An EDC type of closed-back for good replay of most genre’s? From your list it seems to lean more towards neutral with not as much coloration in any area. I would advise to audition and keep the one that best suits what plays best to your own ears (and return the rest).

The Schiit Magni should power all of those cans just fine. Not sure what model year you have but I have the 2023 Magni Heretic myself and looking at its specs, I can power any IEM and headphone confidently.

Hifiman R9 for fun music and films or If you want feel a good “3D sense”.
Hifiman Sundara Closed as a more polivalent HP but less “wow” effect.

what sound signature are you going for? Neutral? An EDC type of closed-back for good replay of most genre’s? From your list it seems to lean more towards neutral with not as much coloration in any area.

Yeah, generally. Neutral with a little bit of extra bass is a good way to describe it. I liked the Status Audio CB1s (once they were broken in) but I’ve gone through two pairs because of the all-plastic construction. If they weren’t so big that they hurt my ears after an hour or two, I’d be using my 1more Quads a lot more. I’m hoping the increased budget means better build quality.

would advise to audition and keep the one that best suits what plays best to your own ears (and return the rest).

That’s why I was going to get them through Amazon hopefully. If I find they’re not for me for whatever reason, I can at least send them back and get my money back fairly quickly. Then use the money on another pair. Sadly, the only headphones I’d be able to try without spending money are what brands Best Buy has out.

The Schiit Magni should power all of those cans just fine. Not sure what model year you have

That’s good to hear. I kinda figured but the way Beryer describes 250 ohms, it sounded like it was meant for studio or DJ mixers. I’ve used that stuff before and know how hot it runs. As for the model specifically, I couldn’t tell you. I just grabbed a B-stock Magni from Schiit when I saw it for like, 80$ or something. Figured it was going to be an upgrade from whatever they use in the FX-6.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan, I am sure you will find the right pair that suits all your needs. Btw, here is a good review on the Beyer DT770 Pro’s to give you a glimpse on how it sounds/performs (and also has a review of the K361’s). He’s a got a great channel when you just want to see some raw examples of data for certain headphones you are interested in.

Good luck in your search! :+1:

1 Like

I have the Robin and the 770 80 ohm, both great options at this price point if you like a v-shaped sound signature, I prefer the pads on the 770 but I prefer the removable cable on the Robin.