Closed back under 200 recommendations?

AKG K371. Lots of plastic in the build, but that’s the case with nearly every can under $200.

If build quality REALLY matters, take a look at the Meze 99 Noir or Neo. Both around $200, but both have a VERY bassy sound signature. May work well with your preferred genres.

I would avoid the Rode NTH-100. Numerous failures reported with the plastic clamp mechanism that fixes the headband extension in place.

I love the 99s , musically they are a very fun headphone but i wouldnt recommend them for gaming, too much bass and hardly any soundstage they are a fun headphone but they arent suitable for gaming

1 Like

what about the Sivga SV021? Zeos likes it and based on his review it sounds like what I’m looking for

Its a nice headphone but it was not my cup of tea (had it and sold it), i’d look at several reviews the 21 (aka Robin) was pretty polarizing with audio reviews some liked it some really hated it - also its not really for gaming, again no soundstage and too much bass

I see. Not really a fan of the AKG and then there’s the issue with the Rode clamp mechanism.
How bad are open backs for gaming? More specifically, how open is the Thieaudio Ghost?

In general most open backs are better than close back in most things. Of course im making a very board and very general statement (and you need to look case by case), but open back design allow for better sound stage, better imaging, better clarity, etc etc… the major downside is that you you hear thing around you and they hear what you hear.

point is there is a reason a lot of hi-fi headphones a fairly large majority are open back, of course there are some stellar closed back.

As far as the Ghost (link to the OG thread) they are not the most open ive had but there is substantial “sound leaking” (hearing the things around you and people hearing your audio). One big note about the ghost is if you want really get the most out of them, you need to pad swap them (not a big deal, takes 2 min), it bumps up the comfort and the sound substantially and its only 25$.

Now there are other open back/semi open back options

• The Harmonicdyne Athena which is also a solid headphone, i might suggest them over in terms your musical taste but the Ghost has a better balance and its suitable for gaming.

• Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R - currently the “queen” of competitive gaming headphones (really good imaging) and a solid all rounder when it comes to music but i think it will be a bit lacking in the bass for your taste

2 Likes

Harmonicdyne Athena gets my vote. 50mm driver, better build, easier to drive and higher sensitivity. the Honest Audiophile mentions, at the conclusion of the first video, the superiority of the Athena over the Ghost.

2 Likes

Thing is, its only in stock form, after you pad swapped the ghost its a much closer fight

Are the Athena’s plastic?

Also I’m not a hardcore gamer or anything, I only play apex casually. I don’t really need to hear footsteps from a mile away lol. So if the soundstage (assuming that’s what determines things like “distance” or “direction” in games) is not that wide it’s fine with me.

I’m satisfied as long as I have decent bass and good clarity.
But I might not go with the Ghost since it has substantial sound leakage. The Athena’s seem more promising

They all have plastic mate, the Athena feels more premium built the ghost is more “sturdy”, since the yoke (the part that hold the ear cups) is made of metal unlike the Athena which has more plastic.
If you decided i do highly recommend putting on a sticker or something on the Athena’s cups otherwise you are getting fingerprints all over that thing

If you’re really not a gamer, you can’t go wrong with the suggested Meze 99 Noir at $199, wood and metal build that meets your original closed back, well built and bass headphone. In addition easy to drive, no amp or dac needed. In line mic too. It has everything you’re looking for. Soundstage and placement is good too for your occasional gaming.

1 Like

Fostex T40RPmk3. Built like a tank. Great tuning. Somewhat harder to drive, but nothing drastic. Comfort is somewhat lacking, though.

Beyerdynamic MMX300 closed back headset. Well within budget on eBay and you don’t need an amplifier for them (gaming sound card helps, maybe down the road). They have a great microphone too and very comfortable. The Hyperx Cloud Orbit headset is another good one, Audeze planar drivers and the mic made by Shure. Doesn’t matter if it’s the S model or not, since the head tracking is effectively a useless when gaming.

Got my Fostex Purplehearts s/h but mint for the equivalent of $210 a banging set for rap :loud_sound::loud_sound::+1:

1 Like

I highly doubt you can run T40RPs without a decent amp (though to be fair i only have the T60RP and they need the power)

any opinions on the Sivga Oriole?

The Noir doesn’t seem to be on sale anymore, it’s out of stock on Drop and it’s not on Amazon

@goatbot Meze 99 Classic is on Amazon, currently “used like new” $165
Same sound different look and slightly different accessories then Noir.

SIVGA Oriole, from what I’ve read sound pretty solid.
Here’s a positive review

His updated written review:

Direct comparison of Meze and Oriole. He’s a reviewer who’s sound preferences match mine. May not be your cup’o tea

1 Like

Any reason for not using iems? Truthear reds sound right up your alley and they are $55. Throw a kinera gmmer cable on there and you’re at $105 all in.

I already have an IEM. Just want a nice set of closed backs

2 Likes