Closed back upgrade advice! I want warm sound, strong bass, under $300

I’m in a relatively quiet workspace, so there is only a certain amount of sound leakage that I can get away with. Using my MDR-1A has been fine at my normal listening level and I feel like those leak a little bit.

I see, I just wanted to add my personal experiences. So the Nighthawk Carbons do leak, but very little. I took it on a road trip and if I listened at a reasonable volume, it didn’t bother anyone at all. It may be questionable if you need very little sound such as a library or something.

Funny I found them to leak a decent bit, I can tell when they are on other people’s heads too, like my sister. Then again I think it varies from person to person. Most of my music is much louder naturally.

I would like to throw a bid in for the X00s if you don’t listen too loud as they do leak. But being semi-open the leak is only really noticable at high volumes. If you don’t like treble then aim for the ebony cups as they are the most neutral. Also I would recommend these pads for some extra comfort without any sound change.
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Compatible-Massdrop-Headphones-Sheepskin/dp/B07SCNCH5R?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on Nighthawks vs Nightowls? I’ve heard mixed reviews on both but they both interest me. Nighthawks seem to be easier to come by used.

I personally like the Nighthawks more, the nightowls are nice if you really need isolation, but I do think they sound a bit more closed in sounding than the nighthawk (which makes sense)

Other than a narrower soundstage, do they have a similar signature?

Maybe M0N can help confirm, but I remember reading that the Nightowls have a slightly less strange sounding signature than the Nighthawks, hence they are probably less polarizing.

That is correct. In order of most strange sound: OG Nighthawk > Nighthawk Carbon > Nightowl

The nightowl are still very solid, I just don’t think I would want to keep it in my current collection as much as it would be not as unique

I’m coming so close to pulling the trigger on the Nighthawk carbons since I see them for $200 new. That’s crazy! I don’t have an amp yet, but I’m planning on getting the BTR5 in the near future. Is it necessary for these headphones or can I get by without it for a little bit?

The nighthawk carbons are actually made for more portable, and can be driven off a phone no problem, and can benefit from an amp later on

Yep. I run them off anything no problem, they sound great.

What do you mean by strange? Never heard the carbons before.

The nighthawks have a weird signature and presentation that compared to other headphones is somewhat unorthodox. Perhaps check out the nighthawk thread for more info

Ok! You guys got me! Just placed my order on Music Direct for the Carbons. I couldn’t pass that up. Can’t wait to hear them! Let’s get weird!

6 Likes

+1 to the hype trainnnnnnn

5 Likes

My favorite headphones I have ever tried. Hope you like them!

HAHAHA, you Nighthawk people remind of a small cult. Vehemently recruiting the uninitiated into your “weird sound signature” social group. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

the x meze 99 noir on massdrop are on sale on drop for 160 right now. No idea how long the sale will last but from what I know they are a bass focused closed back set of cans.

Soren is the leader. We call him Captain Nighthawk. I believe he also has a uniform and cape, although I can’t confirm.

6 Likes