Closed back upgrade advice! I want warm sound, strong bass, under $300

I will admit, y’all almost got me early last year. I was feeling “experimental” and almost went down that rabbit hole.

1 Like

good thing you didn’t, I was not sold on my pair of knighthawk carbons :cry: a few songs sounded absolutely magical on them, but most songs just sounded ok with a few sounding very not good. where ass my t60rp argons sound good for everything but nothing magical.

I think you have to burn in each particular song for 150 hours. Then it’ll sound good. :wink:

1 Like

The noirs sound quite a bit fuller in my opinion. Definitely some more bass going on, but you’ll also get clearer and more detailed treble, if you like the Sony’s then I think you would like the noirs personally. There’s just a lot more happening. Think of it kinda like the Sony’s have foam that’s washing out the sound and holding them back and when the mezes are put on, that foam is removed and everything is so much clearer. They’re definitely warm if you like warm, but they are warm while still allowing the treble and highs to come in nicely. You wouldn’t be disappointed.

Also, the Sony’s don’t gain much at all from amplification, they get louder, but I don’t feel like any refinement is added. I literally prefer them without an amp. The mezes do respond well to amplification, sound much fuller. Add in the 2.5 balanced and it improved even more. Better separation, a tiny bit wider but it also kinda tightens up the bass a bit. I bought the balanced cable on sale for like 40 bucks I think.

Ahhhh just noticed you went with the nighthawks. Ignore my last comment then :blush:.

1 Like

Ha! No worries. The Mezes were definitely on my short list but I decided to roll the dice with the Nighthawks. They seemed too interesting to pass up at that price. They should get here in a few days. I’ll report back with my thoughts. Then I’ll report back after the 150 hour burn in. :crazy_face:

1 Like

meze 99 noirs are on sale right now…

No no no. You’re not even allowed to share you impressions until AFTER that 150 hr burn in! But no you should like them for sure if you like warm sound signatures. I’m normally not a fan of too warm of sound sigs but the mezes and the nighthawks made me a believer. You can’t go wrong for the price. Definitely a miles better value than the mezes in my opinion. Just be warned that they will have a pretty good sound leak. Not super bad, definitely not as much as open backs, or even some closed backs. But they will leak more than what you have.