Closed backs up to ~100 €/$

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to hear some opinions about which closed back would be a good pick, around the 100 €/$ mark.
I’m planning on getting a Fiio btr3k to serve as an amp/dac (in case some new suggestions required an amp to power).
From what I’ve seen so far, it’s between:

• ATH-M40x
  • Yamaha HPH-MT5
  • Sennheiser HD280PRO
  • AKG K361

I already have a pair of DT990 Pro, but I was looking for a closed back that could be a more fun experience to listen to music.

My taste of music is pretty all-rounder (jazz, classical, hip hop, rock, indie, …)

Thanks

Semi - SIVGA SV007

1 Like

@Chrisintheuk Can I ask why those?

The k361 have slightly boosted bass which will sound good with hip hop and rock. You might also like the dt770 but im not sure if the fiio can drive them loud enough.

2 Likes

@JJPablo
Hmm okay
The reason why I am not considering the 770 is because with my 990 some parts started to break (the cable and the plastic bits on the adjustments).
Just didn’t want to deal with replacing that part and having to mod it again because of the cable.

I go with Sennheiser HD25

1 Like

I have them for Gaming simply because of the cost vs performance - I find them great for gaming but also good for music - they have the bass if thats what you are after, the only other ones I use for games are the 99 Noir closed back but thats because I am a bass head, the problem you will have is that everyones taste is different, what one person likes another person will hate, I just read and watched reviews on the Sivga SV007 and just by reading into what they liked and disliked made my mind up - same with the 99 Noir, I purchased off one of the members here and by them simply saying they are way too bassy for I knew I would love them

3 Likes

Definitely a good recommendation.

If you’re going for fun can’t go wrong with the DT 770 80 ohm or the AK K361. [I’d pick the 770 personally]

Theres a fun option. HD 280 pro on a tube amp is incredible. So much fun extremely dynamic. On solid state its not fun intensely neutral to the point where its 90% work 10% fun.

1 Like

I would get the K361 or the CAL!

2 Likes

I would vote against the M40x. Not that they are bad sound wise, just comfort on the headband is not great.