Closed Headphone Options - Search for alternative to Sundara

I tried out Sundaras and loved them, but unfortunately the leak was too much for my small apartment. (can be heard across multiple rooms, unfortunately).

I’m curious if the Argon headphones sound leakage is a big improvement from Sundara, but based on a few notes people have said it’s still pretty bad, but I don’t know what it’s relative to.

Models im now searching…

-Aeon RT Closed New - Toughest sell and least info out about these. $500 is tough when the 177x and Argon MK3s are around $350.

-177x Go - Lots of good reviews but not a lot of good comparisons to Sundara, or Argon MK3. Ended up pulling the trigger and will be getting these soon. Along with Perf Brainwav Pads.

-Argon Mk3 (Or T60RP Argon? I’m a bass guy and it seems the T50rp mod is better) - Downside here is the wait will be 14 weeks it seems, if I can ever manage to find one.

The 6xxs sound leakage was fine, for comparison.

Any further suggestions are welcome too.

Much less leakage than the Senns! My wife can barely hear me 3ft away, but I am a quiet listener. I rarely go over 70Db’s

1 Like

Good to hear. The Sundaras might as well have been a full Bluetooth speaker.

There’s a restock possibly tomorrow for Argon, so I’m hoping to get lucky and be able to compare Argon and 177x side by side. Modded the T50RP MK3 is $345, T60RP is $455, which is pushing what I’d like to spend.

Nervous about being unable to return drop.com stuff, but it seems fine…

the Zeus might be a good fit for you, while they are not “bass canons” they have a very deep and impactful bass, I love my set and hear a fair amount of tracks with a fair amount of bass. they do have sound leakage but its not as bad as what i suspect the Sundara’s have (I dont have the Sundara but i do have the HE400 SE which are similar)

BTW i justchecked Amazon and i think you are way off on the T60RP price unless you mean modded T60RP.

P.S. I use my Zues/HE400 SE/ T60RP with both an IFI Zen Dac+Zen Can or Topping E30 + A50s (in case you were wondering)

Yeah, I’m eyeing the Argon T60 and T50, as there’s a restock today at 8am cst. I’d still be getting the 177x Go this week, so if those blow me out of the water that’d be good…

Downside is the 4 months waiting period to get them, where I’d likely be using my Sony XM3’s hooked up to a schiit stack lol.

I’m real interested in the Zeus, but sound leakage needs to be like, half of the Sundara’s.

I would say its about 60%-70% of the 400 SE
If you get a chance to try them out I would, they are amazing

Would you say $400 on Amazon is a good price?

Id be able to compare them to the 177x this weekend.

I’m reluctant due to the sound leaked at ~65% might still be pretty bad, but it’s probably worth trying out.

… There’s… No leakage from Argons they’re not semi closed they’re vented and with the ZMF pads there’s 0% leak. The only other headphone with less leak is an either CX or some other Dan Clark product. But the Argon’s are way more fun if its going to be your only closed headphone.

Whomst ever said there’s leak on Argons is smoking crack

Argons are worth the wait. They’re incredible

Edit: get the balanced mod and some other pads to roll they’re heavily affected by the pads. You’ll also need some amp to run these.

I’m running a Schiit Magni Modi, possibly upgrading next year or 2023 to a Magnus and Modious. Or Asgard.

It the balanced mod is installed, can I still use my Magni Modi?

Actually, I’m specifically hoping for the T60RP Argon, but I’ll pick whichever one I can get first.

@Thotstomp

1 Like

350$ for the Zeus to me is well worth the price
Personally, i live outside the states so i took the gamble of ordering the Zeus off amazon (since the return policy is tricker where i live), but i haven’t considered returning them for a second.

I also own the Helios and the upgrade was a fairly big jump

While i don’t have the Argons, i love my T60RP (stock), for overall usage, i’d say the Zeus is better but the T60RPs do shine in certain songs,so im assuming that the Argons turn that up a notch.

1 Like

Agreed, even stock the my T60RP have nearly no bleed

1 Like

The main thing holding me back from Zeus is that they still leak sound.

I found myself almost saying fuck it and avoid the wait.

I might have to end up returning the 177x Go’s, but I’m sort of gathering they won’t compare to the Argon T60RP. Hopefully Drop won’t screw me for returning two headphones.

Well I placed an order for the T60RP Argon. A bit over what I wanted to spend but I suppose I’ll find out in 4 months if I like them.

4 Likes

The T60 is come balanced from fostex/factory and yes you can use singled ended cables with your current amps.