Closed headphones under 500€

I want to recommend some closed back headphones to a friend but I struggle with finding any good options below 500€.
Aeon RT/Closed X and Modhouse headphones are not easily available here in the EU and returns would be a nightmare.

I personally had the DT700 Pro X but don’t really recommend them because they sound a bit muffled.
DT1770 look like an attractive option but people have so many complaints about the tuning that I don’t want to recommend them.

He looks for something natural and neutral sounding.
What closed backs would you recommend?

how about the HFM HE-R9 or R10D?

there are some Focal that should be easy to find.

or Austrian Audio?

I just wanna shill the 177x but assuming not an option, cause Europe and you don’t like the 700x, so… maybe the msr7b? had the original ones and they sound super clear imo.

Focal Elegia is might be worth a try, personally i love them but i wouldn’t call them neutral, they are a more “energetic” and very clear set of headphones.

3 Likes

You can’t get the MSR7b anymore here but I forgot to mention the Sony 1AM2.

They could be a good option but because he wants something <500€ I would like to recommend something more refined

1 Like

I have no experience with either brand…but would AKG or ATK have a closed back that’s any good at this price point?

You sure? They’re on audio technica’s EU site, I think Austrian audio have some stuff around that price I think one model measured decently and the others horrendous so look reviews first lol.

And yeh if you can find any of the focals around that price just get those.