Coming up to Breathe! Hart Audio Cables check in

Doesn’t matter, most 3.5mm headphone connections will take either, since they only connect shield and tip.

It tends to be a cost savings thing. It’s cheaper to bulk order more of what you already have then a totally new skew. Also, dual TS is usually what shit like the 4XX and sundaras are wired for anyways(the Vokyls being a strange exception)

@brux Glad to hear the company is doing so well! Looking forward to the new offerings and a bright future ahead. So sorry to hear about your wife. Hoping that things are moving a positive direction. As far as I am concerned you have succeeded in your mission. Congrats and best wishes. :slight_smile:

thank you thank you! Things have gone as well as we could have hoped so far for her. Got a couple more milestone scans coming up and if things continue the way they have we’ll be in great shape!

Yeah I actually did try that! But there are so many colors, that even if we did somehow manage to elegantly add that to the site, we will always need some sort of option for direct correspondence with a customer cause we get some pretty unique requests on the custom side of things. That being said we are working on some stuff that will hopefully make the custom ordering process way easier for both us and the customers.

It’s a mixture of both. I started it with no capital investment or bankroll. So ordering huge bulk orders of parts in the beginning was not an option. But as we’ve grown, both out of necessity and planning that’s changed quite a bit.

@BluJay614 <3 <3 <3

She’s a pro!

We get this sort of question a lot! I think a bunch of people got you an answer thought thankfully. Working on some supplementary stuff to help people with these types of questions. I’m reluctant to just throw up an aggrandizing FAQ on our site.

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback. It’s much appreciated. Wanted to get back to this thread sooner, but we decided to do a 1 year sale, and it’s been nuts here since then. Hoping to get caught up on orders and back to our normal lead times this week.

11 Likes

Hi @brux! Thanks for checking back in. I recently ordered and received several of your cables and a multikit. Everything looks great, works great, and sounds great. Corresponding with Hannah via email was a joy. I unexpectedly acquired an additional headphone a week or so after placing an initial order. I explained that to Hannah and asked if I could another cable to the order without messing up the order. Her first response was “Ooo, exciting!” It may not seem like much but I really appreciated that simple response. It made everything feel like I was working with fellow audio geeks and we were solving a problem together. So thanks for all the great work you’re doing and all the best to you and your growing company. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Hannah rocks!! She has had to modify a couple of my orders, She has made it so easy to do and Hartaudio has always come through for me. Really easy people to deal with and very good quality products. I believe I am only missing one or two cable types as I have purchased so many.

Love Hart Audio cables! I bought the kit early this year and it’s been one of the best audio related purchases I’ve made. It makes for swapping headphones around so much easier. Plus I love the build quality and materials of the cables.

Currently I have an order in last week for a set of XLR cables to join my THX 789 with the Geshelli ENOG2 Pro DAC. The DAC should be delivered today, so all I need now are the cables. Looking forward to using them!

Maybe a tag system with manufacturers, so people can search the headphones they’ve got and it’ll redirect to the appropriate cable. You already have noted exceptions in the descriptions, just make it a bit more prominent.

One of the problems you run into is the fact that some manufacturers change which connector they use, even with the same model… without notice. A couple examples are the 4XX (used to be dual 2.5mm but changed to dual 3.5mm) and HE400i (From that screw on connector, to dual 2.5mm, now the 2020 version with the same name has dual 3.5mm)

1 Like

The site already notes the different Hifiman versions. Move that up to a more prominent position and users can just look at the information when all the results comes up in a search, it’s easier than going through the descriptions of each cable page. That should ease support emails.
There are probably some decent search APIs out there that give card-style results with summary information.

Cool thread. I never read it before. I found it last night and was halfway through it before the whole forum crapped out.

I am not a big fan of expensive after-market cables. I normally just go with Amazon cables. With my Fostex TH-610’s an XLR cable was not available on Amazon.ca. I looked hard at Hart and Periapt. I went with Periapt as I was still trying to wrap my head around the various connectors.

Now I am thinking about just setting aside all my stock and Amazon cables and getting several nice cables that could be my generic “go-to’s”.
I am thinking:
Dual 3.5mm with 1/4" end
Dual 3.5mm with XLR end
Dual 2 pin (Senn) with 1/4" end
Dual 2 pin (Senn) with XRL end

Seems like that would be a cheaper option with Hart than buying four separate cables from Periapt right?

Obviously the Fostex’s and hard wired 'phones do not matter in this scenario.

Could @Brux or any of the cable veterans confirm exactly what I would need?

Thank you!

From HartAudio, you’d need to purchase at a minimum the HC-9 cable and HC-5 cable along with the IC-1 and IC-3 interconnects. So about roughly $90 USD.

So, there is no such thing as an SE cable or a balanced cable? The only difference is the connectors?

Four cables from Periapt would be $252.00, plus shipping. Mmmmmmm.

The headphone cables are balanced naturally if they’re coming from 2 leads, like the dual 3.5mm ones as an example. They stay separate(balanced = each channel has their own ground) if you use a balanced interconnect, if not and you use the SE 1/4" interconnect, they’ll become SE since the grounds will be joined at the interconnect and thus into your amp.

edit: also note, I don’t recommend going the other way around though. IE a single ended headphone/cable into a balanced interconnect/cable into a balanced amp output.

1 Like
  1. HC-9 (dual 3.5mm) $37
  2. HC-5 (dual Senn) $37
  3. IC-1 (1/4") $15
  4. IC-3 (4-pin XLR) $18
    Total: $107+tax&shipping(usually $5for shipping)

This is, of course, without going custom shop, longer then baseline length of interconnect(3", longer adds cost), or the 18" split option(takes $10 off, but shrinks the headphone cable down to ~1’ 6" from 4’ 6")

As for custom shop:
$2/color/item (multi-kit counts as one item, rather then individual cables)
$10 custom terminations
Custom length can very dependent on length and cable design.

2 Likes

Couldn’t be happier with the cable I bought ! The interconnect system is very convenient, and the new budget multi kit with the seafoam green looks very appealing. Might have to pick that up soon.

2 Likes

Thank you thank you! Glad you’re digging it!

I’m stoked on that budget kit, I don’t really like adapters cause I lose them all, but I think it’s something hopefully a lot of people can go to for an intro to the system.

3 Likes

Yes this looks right! The way we like to explain it is our applicable headphone cables are “balanced capable”.

If you link them up with a balanced interconnect (IC-3, IC-4, IC-5, IC-6, IC-8), the assembly is balanced. If you link them up with a single ended interconnect (IC-1 or IC-2) the assembly is single ended.

4 Likes

I wanted to post here to salute Brux. I got my cable set (3 cables and 4 connectors) the other day. It took 45 days to get here, due to Christmas and the defunding of USPS.

I have to say that I really like these. Very soft to the touch and nice long V’s from the cups down. The connectors feel very precise and strong.
I love the flexibility. As an example, I was using a HAC cable to listen to my LCD-2 Classic’s via XLR from the Liquid Platinum. While reading the forums on my phone links come up for Youtube. When you are using an XLR cable there is no easy way to switch over quickly to a 3.5mm without changing cables. Now I just change connectors. Very cool! :+1:

Also, the LCD-2 Classic’s sound Great out of the LP.

I haven’t tested all the cables and connectors yet, but I really like the HAC products. And the sets are much cheaper to buy than having lots of separate SE and balanced cables.

Congrats @Brux for setting up a successful business with great products!

8 Likes

Just got my first Hart cables last week. Excellent stuff, this whole modularity/interconnect system is genius. I don’t really see a reason to buy any other cables, these things are great.

Speaker cables someday ? :wink:

4 Likes