Comparing the JDS Labs Atom and SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888

Thanks for the info. I’m hoping to connect to the Archel through the XLR and use the RCAs to the darkvoice. Haven’t done too much research but should work (I think).

It should work fine, just hold down the button to swap sources. That is a prime example of why the XLR are actually there.

Amen brother.

I ran the power wire back under the DAC its thin and slips right back under, The SPDIF goes around the left side so it doesn’t go across the front and doesn’t interfere with the Archel 2.5 volume knob

2 Likes

Maybe not “pretty”, but this stack sure looks badass. Enjoy! :smiley:

3 Likes

@M0N so, what can I say?

This little 19€ gadget has actually fixed my problem … It has ACTUALLY worked!!!

The RNHP is absolutely DEAD silent. The whistle is COMPLETELY gone with it and I’m lost for words honestly. This little thing actually does its job as avertised and I’m completely shocked.

I’ve tested the RNHP without it too to be sure it was still the same, which it was, so it’s actually doing its job! Completely lost for words.

I can recommend this little purifier MORE THAN ANYTHING and I’m so incredibly happy right now that I found a solution that lets me keep the RNHP and be happy with it. Unbelievable, really.

10 Likes

Lol well that’s excellent, :+1::+1::+1::+1:

Now I just hope you enjoy the rnhp as much lol

2 Likes

Is there a link for that?

I bought it from Thomann in Europe.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_purifier_power_conditioner.htm

1 Like

Good to hear.

A bit sad those 20€ were not spent on the PSU on a 540€ headphone amp in the first place.

The PSU it ships with weighs like 70g and has interchangeable tips for all sockets and is made for 110v-240v 50Hz-60Hz. They just threw in the most universal thing they could find I guess that worked with the RNHP’s design.

1 Like

I’ve tried a fair amount of psu’s on the rnhp and the stock one always sounded the most natural to my ears. It is sensitive to noise though. I’ve tried a sbooster one

and while I think it made the amp more enjoyable with harder to drive headphones, it did kinda make it a bit less neutral which was a trade off I didn’t want to make

1 Like

Holy mother of PSUs that thing is larger than my stationary computer PSU LOL

1 Like

For that price, R&S NGE-series starts to look like cheap PSUs

Lol, I didn’t buy one, a friend was curious to see how it worked with the rnhp

1 Like

Just a quick mini-review again after being able to listen to it for little over an hour now again:

I’m so incredibly glad I went through the hassle and found a solution. The sound that’s coming out of the RNHP is just straight up incredible. It sounds so incredibly full and detailed compared to the Atom. It’s like an Atom on steroids with every aspect of it made better. Next step will be the Clear (Pros) :grin:

1 Like

RNHP gang rise up lol, on the clear it’s just awesome

What do you think of the rnhp vs thx now?

5 Likes

I can only speak for the SP200 but all in all:

• Bass seems to be a lot more refined on the RNHP and “controlled” if it makes sense. I can’t get rid of the feeling that the frequency response on the SP200 isn’t dead flat. Bass on the SP200 is more apparent in quantity but definitely not quality.

• Detail retrieval is at first similar but if you listen more closely and A/B with a switch box you can hear “unwanted” background nuances a lot more on the RNHP like the pedals on a piano. On one piece I could actually even hear the sostenuto pedal engaging the bass softening on a piano. I can’t hear this on the SP200 even if I concentrate desperately.

• Vocals are plain and simple clearer and don’t suffer from scratchy timbre whatsoever. It’s just clean and smooth and soft as you’d expect it to be. Flutes finally sound like flutes and not like cellos LOL

• Instrument separation is unreal. The SP200 sounds a lot more mixed for some reason. Badly mastered songs are barely listenable on the SP200 whereas on the RNHP it does a way better job at separating all the things which makes it lightyears more enjoyable.

• Channel separation is also a lot better on the RNHP. The effects I had described on the SP200 having to look at the waveforms to see if it was a channel imbalance or not is way more drastic on the RNHP. It’s insanely precise in that regard and you can make out the slightest deviations!

Only complaint is of course power, but so far I don’t have any headphones that require more than what the RNHP can handle (and probably will, still eyeing at the Clears!).

I think I’ll be extremely happy for a very long time now with this, it’s exactly what I had hoped for when I was looking for an upgrade from the Atom.

And all that thanks to an accessory that runs for 20 bucks :grin:

5 Likes

It’s a good thing that works lol

Yeah I just think for the price, if you want to get a taste of what I would consider actually neutral and natural, the rnhp is there for you lol. Well glad you like it overall and it was at least worth some of the hassle lol

1 Like

What does the input plug look like, 2-flat, 3- prong, or you can choose?