Comparing the JDS Labs Atom and SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888

Have you tried plugging the DAC/source into different outlets as well? It could be coming from that.

So are you in a dorm or at home? I recall in a dorm I was in that the power was pretty bad and it was causing issues like this. If you unplug the t2, turn on the unit, wait a few minutes, and then plug in the t2 is the noise still there? And it happens with all inputs unplugged?

@giova05 It’s doing the same even when the unit has no sources connected to it. Just power. Unplugging the DAC to eliminate it completely out of the equation also didn’t work.

@M0N I’m at home, the house was built around 2002 if I remember correctly, so it’s not too old. Yea, the noise is still there even after a few minutes like you instructed and the noise is still there even if all inputs are unplugged, just power in.

So yeah, it either sounds like you are having some noise issues, or you got a unit with a bum psu which would suck. With higher end gear it gets more sensitive to power and stuff like that

I take it back, that’s not a coil whine noise… after listening through headphones, I hear it better now. But yea, prob M0N is correct.

Last thing I could try is using the outlets at another location. I could go to a friend real quick and test it there. If it’s no good there either, chances are the PSU isn’t good I suppose, right? Oh well, just my luck hahaha.

could be the whole damn grid in your neighborhood too. lol.
Might have to actually invest in one of those power conditioners.

Yeah if you go do that and the hiss is gone, I would say it’s that you have some noisy things connected in your house, just try it on as much as you can

It’s a good 20 minute drive by car, hope the power is different there :laughing: Will report back once I’m there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know if it’s that bad lol, I just think something in his house might be noisy

Time to erect his own power pole! “If the blood is tainted…”

1 Like

Hasn’t there even been a chinese dude in the media who built his own “audiophile” power pole because the standard one wasn’t clean enough? LOL

lmao… yeah. A japanese guy had his own power transformer installed on his own pole right outside his house literally a few meters away from the power pole on the street. It’s crazy. And he has this quote about how electricity is like the blood of the system… and if the blood is tainted… then the whole system is unhealthy or something along those lines.

1 Like

Oof, time to move my unhealthy tainted blood to my friend’s place now :grin:

Sounds like a square wave of sorts, got a fridge or AC nearby?

Am at my friend’s place now and it’s the same story unfortunately. He lives in an appartment if that changes anything? Seems like I “lucked” out big time and got a faulty unit :man_facepalming:t2: If nobody else has an idea what I could try next I’ll probably go ahead and try to get a replacement unit as fast as possible.

1 Like

So the only other thing I can think of is to plug it in and have it sit turned on for a couple days and see if the power supply settles in, but yeah it just seems you got extremely unlikely with this one. Did the tone sound exactly the same? Also you got the correct voltage for your region correct?

1 Like

Got a 30 day return window, so I could just leave it plugged in for a few days I guess to see if it remedies the issue. Yea the whistle was the exact same pitch, volume, etc.

Afaik it’s a universal switching PSU which comes with tons of different socket adapters. It’s rated from 110v up to 240v 50-60Hz. So, it seems like it’s one of those international ones “one size fits all”.

Did you get it off Amazon? They typically send you a replacement asap and just give you 30 days to return the original without charging you for it.,

Yeah if it’s exactly the same, that narrows it down to a bad psu/unit. I would say just use it as much as you can with normal headphones and see if it goes away for a few days (sometimes this can be the case), if not, ship it back. Also using it for a few days gives you some time do judge what you think about it and decide if you would want it again