Complete beginner in vinyl

Are there any guides / reviewers out there for vinyl that you’d recommend? Especially recommendations for good tonearm/turntable/cartridge pairings?

1 Like

These things are always very specific and it is difficult to compress them into a simple guide. That’s why I’ve probably never seen one. I always ask a friend of mine for advice who has been working with record players for ages. Experience is difficult to replace with turntables. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask them. I am particularly familiar with what has emerged from the Rega universe or know someone to ask. I would be happy to give you a few suggestions if you have a rough price and sound direction for me.

1 Like

I have question,if exist a phono amp with digital output?For example coax,i have a free place on my dac.And i have think maybe exist a phono amp who have this.
If exist no dac with Analog input for the connection.

I have a turntable but can only use on my Stereo hifi.

The question is easy,one of the best table are this from the technics.
Technics is one of the Firm who have continue to sell his Turntable over years and difficult time.And have many option to upgrade the tonearm and needle.
About the needle/cartidge it gives many many for a small,good and expensive price.
In this opinion is the same with Headphone other says this are great and other says no this one.
You can really lost the money with the cartdige just for hearing nuance.
When you are one who listen not every day or just in one Week or month some hours the Ortofon 2m red or blue is enough.
The Tonearm is other story,the can brings a lot when the Rest is good enough from the construction.
I don‘t have really play with it myself and would think about when is a really good Turntable with potential.

Two Youtube channels that are very good for this stuff are HiViNyws and New Record Day.

The Planar 1 runs fast. If you must get a budget table then I would recommend a Project Debut Carbon. If you want something that you can upgrade over time into a proper piece of hi-fi kit, then I would spring for a Rega P3 as you can really trick those out.