Complete beginner in vinyl

im iinterested in vinyl and wanna learn about if i want to get into it. could anybody show me which youtube channels show and teach about it for me to start.

there aren’t a ton of vinyl channels that I know of but Darko and Guttenberg have vinyl specific episodes from time to time.

I listen to about 50% vinyl so if you have any general questions I can try to help.

Vinyl Engine & Audio Karma have good/vibrant vinyl communities that can provide support.

I would also suggest looking at local classifieds to find a nice used TT for $250 - $400 as an entry level to ensure that you like it.

Schiit Mani makes a nice entry level phono pre for $100.

Get to know a local audio electronics / repair shop and they will have good insight on what is good and not. I found a local guy that gets gear from time to time as people are looking to clear out their dead grandparents stuff. You can get screaming deals on great equipment you just have to be patient.

I also have a great record shop near me where I can get vg+ stuff for ~$5/record in their loose bins. I wouldn’t go out and spend $100’s on records just but 10-20 records of stuff you know/like to see if you want to really get into it.

1 Like

Would you recommend the U-Turn Orbit turntable?

Any phono preamp recs? Been talking to my friends in Vinyl, but they’re all speakerheads, so headphones connected to a turntable are anathema to them.

I have a bunch of vinyl albums from record hunting in college with my roommates, so would like to get a chance to use them again.

Phono - https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

Turntables are tough as I don’t like anything new under $1500. The best bet is to go vintage and stay under < $400… Technics, Thorens, Dual, Sansui and Garrard will all have decent stuff in that range. Just make sure you have the seller play it for you and demonstrate all of the functionality. Ideally you’d have a buddy that knows what to look for come with you. You really want to spend < $700 on entry level setup & records to make sure you like the hobby.

It certainly is more work but I tend to enjoy classic rock, jazz, and blues more on vinyl than FLAC.

1 Like

Yea man, I have a pristine copy of all the Blues Brothers albums (took a whileeee to find) and a shitload of live irish music that never made it to cd. I realllllllllly want to hear those again.

Is there any reason why the sub 1500 category is bad?

None of my friends have broached the $1000 on a single piece of kit yet, and they still love vinyl, so I’m wondering what you get past that value mark?

Is Pioneer any good? See a bunch of relatively cheap turntable deals on Pioneer tables on Ebay.

I’d also pickup the following accessories as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Boundless-Audio-Record-Cleaner-Brush/dp/B071DWG4C8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Boundless+Audio+Record+Cleaner+Brush&qid=1590201822&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Viborg-Stabilizer-Aluminum-Turntable-Protective/dp/B07F9HPF8D/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=kvMkI8qWjsFjnX3mOBgxNQ&hsa_cr_id=7298234700901&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

Later if you have static problems:
https://www.amazon.com/Milty-5036694022153-Zerostat-Anti-Static-Blue/dp/B0033SHDSS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=vinyl+antistatic+gun&qid=1590201904&sr=8-1

1 Like

Yep I got those recs previously. Definitely worth grabbing. Thank you! My biggest issue is selecting turntables / preamps. What are you currently using / have used?

If it were me I would start by getting something like this:

If you really like it then upgrade to something like this:

End game would be something like this:

or

2 Likes

what i mean is like to learn about record players and what has priority adn about components and how to know a good one from a bad one justy like a youtube channel that teaches the basics of vinyl playing equipment is what i mean.

1 Like

As someone who worked at a company that manufactured VPI turntables when the 3d printed tone arms came out… they’re no joke and worth every penny.

1 Like

i use one… just get the acrylic platter and probably a better cartridge as well and you got a pretty solid turntable for the price…

2 Likes

Rega Planar 1 (not the +)

Shiit Mani, as mentioned, and the cheap Pro-Ject stuff.
Vinyl actually is s a lot easier to setup with headphones, because you don’t have to worry about feedback and vibrations.

If you don’t have much knowledge it is often difficult to distinguish the good from the bad old turntables. With a Planar 1 you can learn and listen to your vinyl without damaging it.

One could argue that digital sources are far superior to analogue sources below this price class. But a well thought-out budget combination can achieve a very good sound…

less running noise, perfect synchronization, no hum, more details and resolution, no distortion, better sound than CD when the recording is old and analog
The following turntables probably achieve the optimal price-performance ratio for vinyl:
Rega RP3, MoFi StudioDeck, Michell Engineering Tecno Dec, Funk Firm Little Super Deck.
There are good and very bad Pioneer turntables.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t bother buying a turntable for less than $4000 as the cost of the source material is ridiculously expensive compared to streaming. Before you had access to a vast music library for $20-30 a month (for top quality playback), vinyl made sense. I bought a turntable in the late 90’s because I could by $.99 records to sample music cheaply (and records DO sound better); however, with TIDAL, QOBUZ and AMAZON MUSIC you can easily sample albums with great sound quality and for not a lot of money. With the average new record costing around $20, that means that if you were to buy 5 albums a month, then in 5 years you will have spent $6,000 on records. If, for example: you spend $25 a month on streaming, then you will have spent $1,500 and had access to much more music. Now, take out a $4,500 a loan against the difference and you can’t convince this vinyl lover that a DAC wouldn’t wipe the floor with a turntable that’s $4,500 less unless you start to get into some serious turntables ie…those being a minimum of $3,000 with a $1,000 cartridge. Oh, yeah, you will also have to buy a phono stage for another $3,000-5,000 dollars if you want to get the most out of that cartridge, so yeah, it doesn’t make sense to get into vinyl thee days unless you’re well off.

2 Likes

At the same time, I already have a bunch. I’d like to try it. I don’t think you absolutely need to spend that much on source gear. I’m not looking for audio perfection via vinyl. I’m looking for a good enough set up.

I have a set list of LPs I’d like to grab. Worst case I end up owning about 100 LPs of reallllly good music. I still intend for headphones and digital to be my main source of music.

Theoretically I can get set up with a suitable rig for less than $2000 total (phono, speakers, and table). Right now I’m thinking U-Turn Orbit fully set up, PS Audio Sprout 100, and whatever good speakers I can find.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far and to avoid a format war discussion I will say I’m about $1500 all in for my vinyl rig (Thorens TD 125 mk 2, SME 3009 Series II improved, Grace Ruby F9e cart + schiit mani phono) vs my analog rig (FLAC Fiio X7) going through my Event 20/20 BAC v3 active monitors I find myself listening 75% vinyl and 25% FLAC. When going through my Headphones it’s like 95% FLAC and 5% vinyl.

No I don’t have a 4k setup but it’s a damned good analog setup for vinyl. I would love a SOTA sapphire and customize it out or a Technics SP10 mk2 or mk3 but my budget does not afford it.

I will say that for a majority of the music I listen to I prefer vinyl source over FLAC (Jazz, Blues, Bluegrass, and classic rock). I can take something like Muddy Waters Folk Singer and take an original pressing there is a clear improvement over FLAC and it’s not just psychological or confirmation bias. I’ve A->B test on my wife & friends in my listening room and they all prefer the vinyl experience even though it’s more work.

2 Likes

I really appreciate the break down of the costs. I never thought of it like that. My issue is Vinyl and many high quality rips is that most of the time it’s sourced from CD’s anyway anymore.

About the best advice I’ve heard recently for Vinyl, if get in reasonably cheap, as you propose, and only if you build a big enough library then spend as much as you can afford.
I.e. jump straight from entry level to more or less endgame.
It’s too easy to spend a lot of money side grading or marginal improvements on the individual components of a vinyl setup.

2 Likes

I’m going to guess you weren’t comparing to a DAC that cost what the turntable and preamp did.
Good digital is very good, I do think that good Vinyl does some things better, but to me it’s more about trade offs than fundamentally better these days.

3 Likes

I mean, not accounting for the different masters of course, it’s still not apples to apples

1 Like

One thing that many people always forget with vinyl is how long this equipment lasts. All those who bought a Linn LP12 about 20 years ago are still enjoying it today. I don’t even want to think about all the money I wasted on digital crap. The first CD players, MD players (super bad idea), the first iPods, streamers, DACs, even more CD players, SACDs and so on.

very well said!

Many people who come across vinyl from the digital world seem to have a hard time with the fact that in an analogue turntable not one single component makes up the whole sound. All components have a big influence and must be well matched to one another. Especially the cartridge was the last thing we thought about back in the day and nowadays people are using cartridges for double the price of their turntables. Especially the mixing of different philosophies like high mass and vibration dissipation or light tonearms with stiff pickups inevitably leads to a sonic disaster.

1 Like