Computer speaker system recommendations

Hey guys, wanted to post a quick thread here asking for some advice. Planning on picking up a preamp for the setup, probably the Schiit Saga+, and wanted to see if anybody had some recommendations for me for a computer speaker setup. I was talking with Wave about this and he recommended for a 2.1 setup the Micca RB42 + Polk PSW-505 with two of these https://www.amazon.com/Subwoofer-Audio-Full-Frequency-Switchable-Fosi/dp/B07VHG2LR9/ref=sr_1_2?tag=hififorums-20 for monoblocks. Nonetheless, I am open to other ideas and suggestions.

At the same time though, I do have a rather large desk, it’s a 72 wide L shape desk which I sit in the center of the bend, so I am tending to the idea of a 5.1 speaker setup for the desk as I definitely have the room and desk space for such a thing and I feel that would be rather awesome to have if affordable. Keep in mind, I am a bit clueless when it comes to speakers and their setup outside of just plugging in some powered monitors or something of easy access… I do want a good sound though but it doesn’t have to be anything crazy and amazing, just a good entry level into a system with good sound.

Not going to list a budget limit here as per the usual my budget is extremely flexible so I feel this would be a waste, just try to keep recommendations rather low on the price tag and were fine. Open to suggests on 2.1 and 5.1 with some explanations on overall setup would be nice as well. Let me know what you guys think.

1 Like

I am very satisfied with my setup.

The Edifier S3000 Pro, facing straight ahead and set in -monitor- mode, open up a wonderful stage and very solid imaging, even when the seat is close to the desk.

Another advantage is: you definitely don’t need a subwoofer, the bass is adjustable and, if necessary, HEAVY.

1 Like

I would imagine that is complicated budget wise.
Have to think about this, I may have an idea.

1 Like

So the amp can power speakers and send signal to a sub ? Fosi good reliable brand ?
Think ill get one. Theyre monoblock going to need 2 . lol neat.

If you want a 5.1 setup for your PC, I wouldn’t make it too complicated.

My nephew, who is a “powergamer”, uses this loudspeaker system on his computer and is extremely satisfied with it.
It is simple plug & play to connect with little effort and can also be controlled via a DAC / amp with an adapter cable.

So the surrounds would be in the “end” of the desk or left & right side of you.
Ideally you would have 5 similar speakers and something to power then + sub out.

Im definitely voting for powered monitors and surround. That would be very impressive and would have plenty of good sound and power with detail. Low price tag… weeeeell that depends of view. lol

Basic Logitech set is probably the cheap and super easy solution, going for 5.1.
Of course they don’t sound as good as proper monitors. “Good sound” always depends of listener.

Yes, this is correct on what I was thinking. I wanted to get the preamp for the setup, but I figure it most likely will be quite the expense.

hmm, hang on maybe this will give you a general idea of what I am working with.

72 wide, the monitor is in the center there and is 49 inch curved. There is a shelf on the wall on the right side even with the small pocket shelving

too expensive for just two speakers.

can’t speak for it, wave said he didn’t know for sure either. Take it with a grain of salt.

I’m an audiophile, not just a gamer… most gamers without appropriate funds or lacking knowledge on good sound will be satisfied with anything imo.

It’s an interesting idea for sure, but wouldn’t this beat the purpose of getting the Saga+?

I thought about it, just have no idea what to go with, but using powered monitors wouldn’t this also beat the purpose of using the preamp?

You talking about the one @hit_the_right_note just mentioned?

would prefer something that sounds good, I already know a 5.1 will be a bit up there but that’s quite alright. I can shop around on the used markets as well to find something if need be.

Yes. I think anything from Logitech is pretty basic. It might be just me.

There are small 5.1 set’s like this, example this one from Klipsch. That i would consider being little better not not so basic anymore. There are many others as well.

Then there is always the Amp side etc, price goes up.
Logitech is easy in every way, plug and play + cheap.

This might go in the top end of small surrounds sets.
B&W MT-60D

gotcha, makes sense. I suppose it just depends on if the sound is good quality considering the price tag at that point.

I looked that one up just now, definitely affordable.

hmm, help a newbie to speakers understand this a bit… you saying that klipsch 5.1 doesn’t need an amp? Can it make use of the preamp at that point or you think that would be kinda pointless of a purchase for this use case? I do like Klipsch as a brand I think they are quite nice and look pretty good.

That’s a bold statement in my opinion.

In my circle of acquaintances there are quite a few music lovers, musicians and HiFi salespeople who describe themselves as audiophiles and who actually have an understanding of sound that is above average. I partly include myself in this.

Occasionally we make fun of “testing blindly”, so we invite each other and blindfolded listen to purchases in the hi-fi area that the other has bought or put together.

And you do not believe how often we are wrong now, because in the meantime the tonal quality differences are so small, especially in the headphone area, that in a test where you cannot see whether the headphones cost $ 200 or $ 800, whether the DAC / AMP mobile and RELATIVELY cheap or stationary and RELATIVELY expensive, or whether you transfer your music data via bluetooth or cable.

For example, with a ChiFi in-ear paired with an ifi audio product (bluetooth), I defeated significantly more expensive combinations with, for example, products from Campfire audio or Empire paired with Astell & Kern DAP’s in the rating of these people. Because they couldn’t see it, only hear it.

The same thing happens occasionally with over-ear headphones or with loudspeaker systems and their playback devices.

If you just listen, don’t see or don’t know about the cost factor, the psychological effect is gone and you get amazing results here and there.

The preamp goes between source and speakers.
If you were to go 5.1, you would need a preamp that also decodes 5.1 from optical or HDMI.

One tip I found was to spend more money on front left and right and less on the satelite speakers. No idea if that makes sense.

Turns out it could work but is too risky for me to share before I get a chance to try this. Keeping it to myself.

The connections are different. If it helps to visualize the differences.
Small speakers mentioned are passive, you would need a amplifier with 5.1 surround features.
These are usually called surround receivers.

If going for powered or active speakers, you need a preamp Like MazeFrame mentioned. If going for the powered speaker option and 5.1, you need a preamp with 5.1 surround features.

Set’s like the Logitech have all ell build in. Just add-in the source.

sounds like the saga won’t work in that regard, no optical, or hdmi. Interesting, may need to consider an alternative.

Saga would be good for stereo use and a subwoofer. For 2.1 system.
With powered / active speakers
"We’ve provided two sets of RCA outputs here, so you can connect to 2 amps, or an amp and a subwoofer, or you can just use a single output. "

Yeah, noticing that. Good for 2.1 not good for 5.1. Back to the drawing board perhaps… as my mind is kind of set at 5.1 at this point.

I mean, I guess I should open up for suggestions if you guys have some. I liked the idea of the tube preamp, and it matched my stack so bonus points to that since I have the silver stack goin. I will keep the Klipsch and Logitech in mind. I just need a solid full on 5.1 setup

1 Like

Would be interested to hear more on this if you get a chance, kind of curious

At least the color matches your furniture :wink:

1 Like

Don’t give up on a good 2.1 yet. There are definitely combos out there that can sound like surround. My vanatoo’s have this capability and I find my self looking left and right thinking my wife is coming up next to me at my desk.

I Don’t particularly plan to give up on 2.1 I just feel that a 5.1 would be better all considering, even more so considering how much space I have on the desk for such a setup

M audio bx8 crimsons on my pc. They are fantastic and very musical