Controversial article about Simple Minds and "Dont You"

This article came out and its being talked about on the net. Did “Dont you forget about me” kill Simple Minds?:

Started a good discussion on the Steve Hoffman forums which i contributed to here:

I played the Once upon a lifetime album as a warm up to a Roy harper gig in 86…so music is music it can’t be killed.

Yes, i just listen to it again the other day and it still holds up. Also, not sure if it was the zmf auteur, but i was seeing it in another light too. its better than i remember

The writer of that article:
A. Is one of these who deems themselves purveyors of taste and always too cool for anything. To which they most certainly aren’t to the point where they are in fact a completely closeted conformist whose mommy didn’t love him enough when he was a tyke and thus shits on everything in the hopes of seeming “complex” and “read”.

B. Completely misses the point of the film to such a degree that I have to wonder if he was on acid or just so rooted in trashing something he didn’t understand that he didn’t bother to watch any of it. If he was in fact 14 when it came out then he clearly spent more time jerking it to MR than experiencing the dynamics of a film whose goal was to place a player form each of various common school factions/social cliques together to play out (in true 80’s fashion) a melodrama of how these factions form and the social Constructs that crate the various characters. Had the “author” mentioned the stereotypes were too clean cut and divided evenly he would be correct. But again, this is mainstream cinema.

In short, this guy is talking out of his ass.

P.S. the Steve Hoffman forums are perfect as they all are conformists and “one-upsman” to a huge degree. Even the forum host is nothing more than a technical Luddite who happened to be at the right place at the right time and was smart enough to parlay that into a career.

C.

1 Like

Yeah not somewhere I would participate on lol

OMG, i just realized this is me :flushed:

You jerk it to molly ringwald?

Wellllllll to each their own lol.

Molly Ringwald was the bomb yo!

Ha maybe. I don’t think she was quite my cup of tea.