Custom Speaker setup under 150$

Hello dear Audiophiles!

I am trying to build a desktop setup which I will probably relocate for home Theater at some point,my knowledge on things like pre-amps and cable/port types is limited and since i live in a smaller country a lot of options like the Micca are completely absent so it is either buying the Edifier 1280T or if some of you could help me pick out some local used stuff(can provide a list or link).

Point of the build would be spacious and clean sound without static noise below at least 60db.

link the sites you have access to. we will find you something!

1 Like

Sadly the site has no english option, This is for bookshelf speakers

This is for amps,

If you have trouble navigating the site please say say,of course I dont expect you to browse the Amp section for hours you can search up something you think would be decent like Smsl sa 50 or something like that

My newbie brain came up with something like this:

However i have no idea if i actually need that amp if what kind of features to look for so any advice is appreciated!!

1 Like

That amp looks solid for general use in a bookshelf setup (and, at the very least, could last you until you feel that you have “outgrown” it). On the speaker front, unfortunately, the two best options I see there (PSB Alpha B1 and JBL Arena 120) both exceed your budget, just on speakers alone. Hopefully someone else can chime in with experience on the cheaper models!

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion! Also i was curios about a couple of things,there are tons of speakers that are not listed as “bookshelf” so I am not sure if I need that,would going for more recent speakers and low cost amp be better than some 90s hifi that requires a stronger amp for pure clean audio? I would probably never use either at more than 60db just looking for no hissing/tremble sibilance.

1 Like

So, the amp needs will be dependent on both the speakers’ impedence and sensitivity as well as the size of the room the speakers will occupy; with a desktop (aka nearfield) setup, this won’t be nearly as important but could you give us an idea of how big the eventual “home theater” space will be?

1 Like

200 square feet if even that,main concerns are that since they will be used for desktop for now to not hear any hissing or static noise at very low volumes because of Tinnitus

If you got a list of similar speakers like the PSB alpha B1 i could make great use of that,maybe there are some used ones I can streach my budget a little

1 Like

edit: those are part of a micro system back in the day that was quite good. they are also designed for 50 watt amp. easy to drive.

edit2: that smsl sa-50 will work fine. your linked setup would work good as well. those onkyo are solid speakers as well.

2 Likes

I am in the process of hooking up @Kevin_2 with a system (RB42s, SMSL AD18, custom speaker cables and some foam pads for isolation/elevation) but thanks to @joshua_g for the input!

2 Likes

i was looking through the site… trying to find an active subwoofer to add into the fray. couldnt find any at a quick search for cheap, they were all passive. which could work, but isnt ideal. you could grab one of the cheap passives and use banana plugs with jumper backs. they allow you to chain speakers to one amp without having to splice wire.

an image to reference.

2 Likes

sweet, good looking out!

2 Likes

Edit: RB42 may be back on the menu.

I think I will skip the sub for now,rather get a decent stereo for now then add a sub later

1 Like

This is a good plan, as you can always expand/add when needs and budget allow.