DAC&AMP combo for „on-the-go“ — too many options led me to a paralysis of choice

Ah, mine initially had a micro b, and then like 7 months ago I got a replacement one (I had issues with the previous because of my own stupidity), and the new one had type c. Also new ones at dealers have had a type c port as well. I’m sure if you reach out to iFi they will let you know.

So the xd05+ will have more power on tap, and a more analytical/cleaner signature that is a bit forward, the xdsd is going to be a bit more relaxed and have a warmer more substantial sound to it. Both are pretty great, but I think the dac quality and the features of the xdsd makes me prefer it over the xd05 plus for the 58x, if I had a harder to drive headphone that would change (something like a pretty substantial planar). Also the bass boost on the xdsd is pretty sweet, I don’t like the bass boost on the xd05 plus because imo it gets too sloppy and boosts too high in the range where stuff sounds muddled).

This all being said, this is alot to spend on a dac/amp for an hd58x which isn’t the most picky in the first place, so if you do go this way, I would suggest picking up a higher end headphone later on

1 Like

I think that’s a strength of this community. I know for me - and I suspect many on here - it’s really hard to find others to nerd out with regarding audio. So I’m thrilled at the opportunity to do so. And in general we get along well here. IMO we’re kinda sibling-like in our interactions: we have our spats but they tend to be over and water under the bridge rather quickly and we’re back to fun and games again.

7 Likes

That is true. But for me the 58X was the steppingstones that brought me to this audioenthusiast world. I now have a little bit of money to spend and not having a DAC/AMP I thought the next expense should be invested into a DAC/AMP.
Knowing that this audio thing is something that well cost me way to much time and money I thought i will invest into a decent DAC/AMP that will be good enough to keep for my next round of headphone purchases.

My plan for now:
Entry-Level headphone → first DAC/AMP → better Headphone → alternative to the better headphone to discover some other facets of the audio spectrum → better DAC & AMP → …

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan :+1:

4 Likes

I will mention too, that as someone who owned a warmer liquid spark and the brighter xduoo plus AND a 58x i share the same opinion of prefering the 58x when paired with something brighter. I can stand by the xduoo plus/58x combo easy

1 Like

the new iFi is what I would get, myself. it’s a sweet ass / affordable portable DAC/amp, with one caveat…would the music genre’s you listen to benefit from warmth? if not, don’t get it…if so, try it out…if you don’t like, sell and try again :slight_smile:

huge part of loving audio is buying / trying and selling what you didn’t care for…or to fund other items to test.

2 Likes

Regarding this… are there any websites/ platforms to be recommended for buying and selling used audio equipment in Europe (Germany)? eBay doesn’t seam to be the place to go.

Yep that’s the way to go.

1 Like

well, you already mentioned eBay…but also Amazon and then there is the UK Audio Mart.

i think a dragonfly red or cobalt really does seem like it would work well for you… (for the iphone you will need a camera connector though to get USB instead of lightning)… but it has all you want

can power some fairly powerful headphones
very pocketable (the size of a flash drive)
MQA support (red needs a firmware update thats pretty easy, cobalt is built in)
USB C through dragontail and iphone use through camera kit
works with tidal

the one major issue would be not much volume control

also for personal reasons can someone compare the ifi zendac to a phone… i kinda need to know if i should get that or a hipdac (though i did find a deal on USaudiomart for a idsd BL for 150)

So I am going to pull the trigger on buying a DAC/AMP tomorrow. Last question, how is the SMSL SAP-11 Hifi? At the moment I have the xduoo xd5+ in my shopping cart… :blush:

Thanks again to everybody helping me make a decision.

I am now a proud owner of a xd05+! It just arrived today. Really exited to give it a good listen!

5 Likes

Curious to see what you think :+1:

2 Likes

xduoo plus gang gang!

1 Like

First Impression:

1. I didn’t expect that big of a difference!
  2. The XD-05+ reduces the warmth of the 58X — I wasn’t all that happy about — considerably. I now really enjoy the 58x a lot more.
  3. The Filters actually do change the sound ever so slightly (some reviewers made it seem like there wouldn’t be any audible changes). But I am still not sure which one I prefers the most.
  4. Sadly the documentation of the features isn’t all that good. Most of them are just vaguely explained.

As soon as I had a bit time to really listen to the XD-05+ I will happily share my thought.

4 Likes

@Jose_G do you know exactly what the boost switch does?

The manual says „Increased thrust adjustment function, adapt to different impedance headphones.“

So Boost is just an impedance match feature…
…having a 150𝛀 do I need to boost or not to boost😅

I think it is indeed for high impedence stuff, but to my recollection alot of reviewers mentioned using it and seeing and hearing basically no difference lol. honestly when it comes to features i would say the xduoo dosent change much besides gain and stuff. Personally i dont really have any high impedence headphone atm and cant say ive heard a difference

I bought the BTR5 from Fiio, I saw and tested several before… will never go back now, love it, the glass, the options, the sound… wow! and it even pairs with my LG Tv for perfect Netflix alone sessions when everyone’s asleep :grin:

Zeus review

1 Like

Here is my long term review of the Xduoo XD-05+

They were great for about 4 days.
I was just listening and exploring all those beautiful and breathtaking female-voices from the topic „Who are your favorite female vocalist“ when all of a sudden i heard ptzzzzbzzss.

The XD-05+ now refuse to turn on or charge or at least the charge indicator doesn’t blink like it should. (The battery indicator was on 3/4 full bevor it died).

I hope the XD-05+ will recover. I at least don’t smell anything burned.

2 Likes