DAC&AMP combo for „on-the-go“ — too many options led me to a paralysis of choice

Are you also having issues with your 1/4 inch adapter as well? If the 1/4 inch adapter failed there is a chance it could have caused damage to the amp

Yes, but that is of no concern anymore :cold_sweat: :worried:
(I luckily do have another 1/4 adapter that worked fine)

So the amp is still not working correct?

The Xd-05+ just turned back on again. But completely depleted and still with no indication that it charges.

Ok, while I was typing this it turned off again. I might just creep it plugged in even without any sign of charging.

Yeah so I would keep it plugged in. You have it plugged into the charge usb not the data usb right? And what are you using to charge it?

Yes, I have it in „charge“. But what worries me is that is went from nearly full to complete depleted in a blink of an eye. That combined with that weird noise it made bevor dying might indicate a short circuit?!

Hopefully nothing got toasted in there.

Yes that’s not normal for sure, so I would clean out the jack of the amp by blowing compressed air in there, and taking a cotton swab and making sure something isn’t inside the jack. Then I would also let it sit for a few hours charging, and see if it works afterwords. Something could have shorted the amp, causing these issues but personally I don’t know if it is something you can fix or not without sending it back and getting a new unit

1 Like

Thanks for your advice!

I really hope I can fix it myself. Sending it back and get it fixed will take for ever…

Ok so let’s start this discussion all over again :laughing:
My XD-05+ is still broken (haven’t jet heard from Shenzhen Audio).

But the exiting part is, that I have a appointment at my local headphone dealer to try out some new cans 400-500€.

On my testing list so fare are.

• DT 1990 Pro

• Sundara

• 99 Classic (because my wife wants me to get some closed backs and they are beautiful — but i think i will not like the sound signature)

• 660s (but I think having the 58x i should go for something more different)

• and a couple more my dealer will suggest to me, but my selection will concentrate on headphones that are „defined“ as clear, good separation, less warm and mid to high forward. (Well at least that is what i think i like)

Here is my Question:
Should I still stick with the XD-05+ or should I switch to something like the hip-dac to complement the brighter sounding headphones i am looking for. I am a little worried that for example the DT1990Pro (My momentary favorit) will be to bright using the XD-05+. Although I really really liked the sound, look & feel of the XD-05+.

1 Like

Have you considered a used ifi idsd micro black label? That would be an upgrade to the 05+ and also imo a warmer signature

Maybe one other slightly more expensive but the same power with a warmer sound and Xbass option with a 2.5mm TTRS the iFi xCAN a larger foot print but hey?

I will use the portable dac/ amp a lot on the go (on hikes with my dog) so the micro black label is a little to big for me. The XD-05+ was pretty much the perfect size and price. Additionally I sadly can’t find a good deal on the micro black label in Germany.

How did the appointment at the dealer go?

Also interested to hear, quite the story in this thread… I can’t take the suspense!

Plus I can relate while as I’m looking for a portable dac/amp too.

The Appointment sadly got postponed because of my XD-05 beeing broken. And because it will be the main Dac/Amp that will power the new headphones the dealer suggested that we should reschedule the appointment until I have my XD-05 back.

He said to me that he finds it really important to only test headphones with your main DAC and AMP. Even though they won’t make a gourmet meal out of a simple burger the DAC/AMP is like the spices that refine every meal. He is quite passionate about headphones.

But I will happily tell the story as soon as I get my XD-05 pack and had my appointment.

1 Like

Thats to bad hope it gets fixed soon I’d love to hear how it went

1 Like

I like his food analogy! I might have to use that one when explaining sources to people. Although some headphones might sound like raw meat if you try to power them straight off your phone or laptop. :smile:

1 Like

So my replacement just arrived…
…oh and my „old“ one just started charging again.

6 Likes