DAC/AMP for Desktop PC & HiFi integrated setup

Sounds good.
I might occasionally listen to ambient music, classical or highly dinamic recordings (like older jazz tracks). Do you think these might be affected by the amp?

From where you are listening, you are most likely not going to have any issues with that. I had used a nad d3020v2 (30 watts) with svs ultra bookshelfā€™s (similar sensitivity to the kefs) in nearfield, and had no issues with those types of tracks. The main difference I found from more power at nearfield was stronger subbass impact

@Maelstrom-83 you wouldnā€™t be able to add a sub with the pa3 though

not even using an active sub as mentioned above?

You would have to find a passthrough is the problem. There isnā€™t a rca out on the topping

That is right, I havenā€™t considered this. I might end up with the NAD or Cambridge Audio or stay with a more simple Emotiva A-100 but Iā€™m no so sure. With this setup I would need phono stage and a multiple inputs selector of some kind.
Iā€™m kind of surprised that most of the desktop speaker amps are thought for basic setups and the majority of the brands are focusing on the Headphone amps.

Manufacturers typically did not feel that there was a market for feature packed desktop size amps. But now that many are finding the need, smaller and smaller amps are being made with more features

1 Like

Also what about the emotiva ta-100?

That looks even bigger :smiley:
Actually I might end up giving up and buying active speakersā€¦use the dac connected to them via Optical cable and avoid the need for an external power amp :roll_eyes:

they do make actives with a built in dac and phono

klipsch the sixes comes to mind

The main issue is the lack of inputs on a powered speaker vs a receiver, but you could always get some powered speakers and an input switcher like this one

You could then just get a turntable with an integrated preamp and then have plenty of inputs

There are better powered speakers, so thats something to research

Actually what about the kanto tukā€™s? That might be something you would be looking for

That has a built in phono preamp, a line in, and a sub in

That Panlong switcher is an okay cheap solution, but know that you get what you pay for. I personally have this same unit and one of the rca connectors came apart and got stuck in one of my cables. Also, some cables donā€™t stay on the rca connectors for long. After a while, your cables will start sliding off the connectors. If you get this, I suggest using very basic rca cables, nothing heavy duty and donā€™t move the connections around very often if you can help it. Connect your cables and then leave them alone.

Well thatā€™s nice to know. I just suggested it as more of a reference to what they would need. There are nicer switches out there. I personally have this one

And it works great and does the job

Unfortunately these are not so easy to find here in Switzerland, so I would need to order them oversea (high taxes) + they are quite expensive (above my budget). Would you suggest any other good Active ones? Perhaps Klipsch or other brands?

Klipsch R-51PM might work for you. I believe it has a phono input and a 3.5 mm input that you could adapt to rca. The main issue is finding powered bookshelfs with a phono preamp and multiple inputs. They kind of reach up into the higher price range with the more features and inputs

I understand. The point is, as Iā€™m putting the devices together in steps, it would be no problem to have something like a switchbox added to the setup down the road. also the phono preamp would not be a big deal as I could spend then that money on the turntable when I get it.

Now, technical question, as I am now waiting delivery of the DX7 DAC, connecting the speaker to the DAC via optical would use the internal DAC or the DAC which is inside the topping?

You would want to connect the topping to your pc or whatever source using usb or optical if you prefer, and then rca out into the speakers.

So then what is your leftover budget for the speakers?

Thatā€™s right, then the rca input would be used to connect the DAC, and the Phono in would then be unavailable (in case I bought the Klipsch).

For powered speakers I would stay below 500/600 $

Check out the vanatoo transparent zero or one. Great speakers with lots of features