Dac on top of amp?

Most of the time I see units stacked, I see the amp sitting atop the dac. This makes sense to me, as I think of the amp as being more likely to generate heat and need venting.

However, I just got in a Soekris dac2541 and a Vioelectric V281. Boy is that amp long, narrow, and heavy.

There is a bit of warmth coming from the venting holes on the top of the dac housing. The amp has no venting holes at all - perchance this amp isn’t going to get hot?

Given the weight and size of these components, I am not super comfortable putting the amp on top of the dac. While the dac is lightweight enough that I don’t expect it to pose a problem sitting on the amp, the amp actually fits between the rubber feet, so putting the dac on top means the metal cases are in direct contact.

I only have a pair of 6" interconnects, so side-by-side is not actionable at the moment. I guess what I want to ask is should I be ordering longer interconnects, or does this not pose a problem?

For the scenario that you have defined, in my opinion yes, and you will want to order longer interconnects and also go with XLR to run balanced out of the 2541 into the v281.

I owned and operated a soekris dac1541 and Violectric v281 for a decent chunk of time, so what I am telling you is from my experience. YMMV.

Does the amp get warm enough to cause any problems? I have no problem ordering new interconnects, but I am hoping to be up and running (at least temporarily) this evening.

1 Like

No the Amp will be fine you will be fine heat wise and you can get yourself working until you can order interconnects. I might stick something in between the two, just to prevent metal to metal scraping to keep cosmetics better - but I am whack that way…

You’ll be OK don’t let it stop you from enjoying that awesome synergy - That soekris and vio combo is out of this world good. Great synergy !

Awesome! Thank you for letting me know. I really appreciate that.

Wowza!!!

Now that this whole chain is making music, I can’t believe how good it sounds. In one of my favorite recordings, I had to play the same 5 seconds like 10 times - I thought I was getting a static noise the first time through, but it showed up every time at the same moment, so it’s not my hardware… After a few times through the track, I figured it out - I was hearing the sweater the singer was wearing. Seriously, I can hear his sleeves when he moves.

This depth of clarity and detail is going to take some getting used to. It’s not “in your face” it’s just that there appears to be a lot of information in recordings I never even knew was there.

2 Likes