Daily Driver Headphones

What is your daily driver? What headphones do you use the most even though you own more expensive or what you consider better sounding headphones and why (or it could be your “best” headphone and you simply just use it everyday)? And lastly which headphones would you recommend as a daily driver?

1 Like

I’ll start. Even though I own HD 660s and Argons, the headphones I use the most are my HD 598s. They are the most comfortable pair I own, they are easy to drive so I can just connect it to my PC with the Q1 MK II or directly to my PS4 controller, and it’s parts are easy to replace when they wear down.

2 Likes

Most days, Verum-1. Not the most comfortable but not bad, and I don’t wear them for very extended periods; day to day I don’t listen for really extended periods. Probably my favorite headphone that I own is the Elex; but I have had the Verums longer and the sound feels like a well broken in pair of loose shoes. This might change but it’s been this way for the last year or so.

Also have a Taotronics BH-22 Bluetooth pair which I use a lot for listening to audiobooks and YouTube videos and such. Stupid light and comfortable and the Bluetooth range covers my entire living space. These were around $30 when I bought them! I have Bose QC35 for airplanes (ANC is way better) but the Bluetooth range is less good.

1 Like

So, I own the 1990s, T1.2, aeon open x, and borrowing 177x go and argons these are probably my most expensive right now off the top of my head price wise. However, I tend to pick up my KSC75 for when I am on the go, and for headphones of late definitely the Tygr300r which completely caught me off guard on how good that one sounds and now the newest addition which is the Harmonicdyne Helios which I find myself picking up a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. For gaming though I mean it really depends on what I am doing. I don’t think theres much competition for me for casual immersive gaming in terms of the 177x go and aeon open x and for competitive 1990s just feel like cheating. Though the helios and tygrs are still nice in this case too and I have used them a few times for this.

2 Likes

Kind of rotate as per what music I am listening to… Edition x v2 for most followed by my Elex and then always have my Nighthawks ready to go… I run them both balanced and single ended to fine tune as the music needs arise.

2 Likes

I pretty much use my ZMF Eikon and Focal Clear Pro interchangeably around the same amount so I guess I would call those two my daily drivers. At work my daily driver would be the Moondrop Starfield and since I now have a Elegia I’m starting to work those into my work rotation and will likely take over the daily role from my starfield.

2 Likes

Hawks, hands down. They are comfortable, easy to wear, can hang up them without fuss.
For listening sessions, I use my Auteurs. I baby them a bit more to leave them lying around for dailies, but I love them both the same.

3 Likes

Changes weekly(ish), but probably most often on my head are LCD2f with Dekoni elite suede pads. Not for everyone, given the weight, but it’s never bothered me.

3 Likes

Sundaras at the moment. Im looking for a headphone that’s warmer and has more slam. My next purchase will most likely be an Audeze headphone. Might even consider zmf because of its natural timbre

2 Likes

Could you describe the differences in the eikon and clear for me and what you think both of them excel in genre wise, if any? Also, do you find either of them to only gravitate towards solid state or tube amps or can they sing off of both amp types and how did the tips you have with the starfield change from stock? Main points I’d definitely like to hear about between the two headphones is sound stage characteristics (width, depth, and height), slam, timbre, and what sound signature they have. Asking as these are all future considerations of mine.

Own HD580, HE500, Borealis, Sony MA900, DT770 and Aeon2C.

Pre-quarantine it was the HE500. Something about that headphone is just intoxicating. Right before the wife got told to work at home I bought the Borealis. Big mistake my wife ended up working from home and is constantly video calling someone. No quiet time at all in the one bedroom apartment so I haven’t really been able to get a good feel for the Borealis.

Thus requiring a closed back I had been a daily driving the DT770 with dekoni choice leather pads. Just recently picked up the Aeon2C after utter disappointment with the Elegia. Yep the Aeon2C are my new daily driver.

1 Like

Changes every few days. :grin:

1 Like

The piece of gear I use the most even though I own more expensive stuff has to be my blue or red vidos $2 earbuds surprisingly good very forgiving and really comfy for anime in bed with my laptop

2 Likes

It’s the same for me with the Nuforce HEM1. I use the FiiO FH5s when I leave the house but when I’m home I use the HEM1 cuz they are very comfortable and have a very small form factor. I can lay on my on my side on my bed for hours watching videos on my phone without any discomfort.

Hyper x cloud 2 with Memory Foam Earpads - Oval - Hybrid from brainwavz. Too many calls a day lol

Other than that I rotate Nighthawks for comfort, Eikons newest, hp3 love those in all aspects and sundara cause those are different. Plus legacy 3 when it is too hot for hp.

I do use all of those almost on daily basis so hard to pick one dayly driver now.

1 Like

HarmonicDyne Helios. I love its treble which ive never heard better done on a headphone. Bass is great. V shaped headphone so very fun/exciting. i’m not sure what the Germans did with this driver but the presentation is awesome. sounds big and open. the only thing i can compare it to is the big drivers on the Arya. Very nice detail.

I also like its frequency range of 10Hz to 40kHz. with all the high resolution audio files and streaming going on these days these can pickup that range. I have a lot of headphones but i keep using this one all the time. its become my daily

1 Like

For commuter to work this previous year a set of Tin T2’s /T4’s on Bluetooth adaptor…for bike or train.

At work I had some shitty Marshall Major v1’s - next yr likely upgrade to Meze 99s, or DT 770s if they don’t sell.

And at home mostly SHP 9500’s - recently upgraded to Meze 99 noirs, and waiting on a set of LCD 2 CLosed backs…hoping these cover me at home here on out.

1 Like

At home, Focal Elex on the Klipsch headphone amp/dac. At work, KZ ZS10 Pro. Get that inline mic on the KZs. Perfect web conference setup in Covid land.

1 Like

Currently? Focal Clears or ZMF Eikons via Enog2 + Gilmore Lite Mk2. Ares II comes thursday and the RS-08 comes on the same day most likely. Those’ll prolly replace the source chain.

But for now, these are fantastic.

2 Likes